Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14537 Discussions

Dual Core or Quad Core?!

idata
Employee

I have the choice between 2 CPU: Intel Dual Core 2 with 3,16GHz, 6Mb cache and 1333MHz or Intel Quad Core 2 with 2,66GHz, 6Mb and 1333MHz. I have an Asus P5QL Pro motherboard, 8GB or RAM 800MHz. I'm gonna use the PC for producing music in my studio. Wich one's the better?! More GHz or more cores?!

Thanks!

1 Solution
HERBERT_H_Intel
Employee

that would depend whether your music producing software is multithreaded.

Check with the software designer.

OJ

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
HERBERT_H_Intel
Employee

that would depend whether your music producing software is multithreaded.

Check with the software designer.

OJ

0 Kudos
HERBERT_H_Intel
Employee

then if the program can make use of 4 simultaneous threads, it will get more work done with the quad core.

OJ

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

On this subject. What is better? Duel or Quad? It seems like Quads have lower numbers but have more processors?

For myself, I play video games for one. Champions Online and City of Heroes.

I also make my own comic books using screen shots of these and other games. So what I need to do is be able to run multiple games at the same time.

I need to run 2 to 3 versions of City of Heroes at the same time. I hope to be able to run 2 version of Champions Online but I don't really use it for comics right now but for playing so that isn't a must but I am looking to the future and may start.

The 2 to 3 City of Heroes clients are though. I need to be able to run them all at the same time while talking multiple screen shots and demo files. Being able to keep them running while I browse my computer and sort through screen shots, figuring out changes and extras to add.

I also need to be able to run a few other programs at the same time. I'd like to do all this without burning out my computer. Therefore since I wish to step up my comic making. I will also be running videos sometimes when doing this as I will be duel monitoring this.

I am going to get a new computer and have a choice between several Duo and Quads.

0 Kudos