Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Windows 7 media center crash in igdumd32.dll

idata
Employee

I have big problem at switching channels on HD or during viewing HD channels. Windows Media Center periodically crach with error in igdumd32.dll.

Windows gives me the following crash information:

Stopped working

APPCRASH

Application Name: ehshell.exe

Application Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Application Timestamp: 4a5bccdc

Fault Module Name: igdumd32.dll

Fault Module Version: 8.15.10.2509

Fault Module Timestamp: 4e5e8fd6

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 000f90b7

Language code: 1049

HW configuration:

1. Intel i3 2100T

2. Asus P8H61M

3. Kingmax DDR-III 2GB PC3-10600 1333MHz

4. Seagate 320Gb

5. FSP power supply 120W

SW configuration:

1. Windows 7 SP1

2. Intel graphics driver 8.15.10.2509

3. Bios 1102

4. Bios settings set by default

5. DVBLink 4.0

Are there any ideas why it happens?

0 Kudos
69 Replies
idata
Employee

In order to better isolate your issue, we need more detailed information on the specific error. Please reply to this e-mail with the answers to the following questions:

- When did this issue first happen?

- Are you able to play other HD Videos on the system?

- What troubleshooting have you performed so far?

We will be looking forward to helping you fix your computer's problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

When did this issue first happen?

I purchased i3 2100T and set it up as htpc (Windows media center + DVBLink 4.0) in July 2011. The issue was happening since there since day one.

Are you able to play other HD Videos on the system?

Yes. The problem happens only when switching live TV HD channels or during viewing live TV HD channels in Windows MediaCenter. The TV comes from satellite.

What troubleshooting have you performed so far?

1. Tried different drives (from CD 02.2011, 04.2011 and last 08.2011)

2. Stress tests (s&m, 3dmark 2006, prime95) all Ok.

3. BIOS settings. Graphics memory buffer - 512M, Power saving Off, Memory timing default.

4. Different hardware configuration. i3 2100T + Nvidia GT240 or Amd X2 245 + amd HD3200 all Ok on the same signal/MediaCenter configuration.

It also looks like the problem happens not only to me. I have found the following links on the Internet that apparently describe the same issue:

http://dvblogic.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=14489 http://dvblogic.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=14489

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1227937 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1227937

/message/126965# 126965 http://communities.intel.com/message/126965# 126965

/message/77797# 77797 http://communities.intel.com/message/77797# 77797

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

i have exactly the same issue. Tried older/newer drivers. Checked the complete system.

ReInstalled the system. But MCE keeps crashing with your posted error message.

My system is:

-Intel Core i3-2105

-Gigabyte H67MA-USB3-B3

-Crucial CT064M4SSD2 64GB SSD

-Kingston KHX1333C9D3K2/4G 4GB

Thanks, in hope for a solution.

Cutter

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sorry, I have made a mistake in my first post.

I use memory Kingston "ValueRAM" KVR1333D3S8N9/2G.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Same problem here.

Gigabyte H67N-USB3-B3 with Intel onboard graphics.

Windows 7 Media Center sometimes craches in Live TV Mode when changing channel away form HD or to HD.

I'm using DVBLogic DVBLink TVSource. I think it would be interessting if the crash only happens on systems where DVBLogic DVBLink software is installed.

Question to Cutter: Do you have software from DVBLogic DVBLink installed on your system?

Thanks & Bye!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

no, i do not use DVBLogic DVBLink. I have just installed my tv card drivers and use media center directly.

(DVB-S2 Card from Digital Devices).

I workaround now with an additional Nvidia graphics card.

Intel HD graphic drivers are crap.

Regards

Cutter

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@gerd.meier51

What memory is used?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Intel HD+ Intel drivers = Garbage

Tell your friends, stop buying this crap... they will learn or go out of buisness...( they have great Cpu's but their video graphics bite it )

Intel HD are basic garbage to see what goes on in your system, other than that they bite the big one...

Psst, Hey intel why does your competition make great video cards... maybe the bought ATI ... hint .... Intel HD compaired is garbage next to them.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Almost 2 weeks later and still silence from Intel, how do we activate them?

Saying that Intel Graphics is garbage doesn't help anyone and I'm sure Intel would have an interest in investigating such crashes.

Anyway, I've been able to rule out that it is tuner related, I'm also seeing it with playback of my 1080i AVCHD files from my Sony camera.

So maybe the problem description becomes simpler in that Windows Media Center (ehome) crashes in igdumd32.dll during playback of HD format files (Video Clips, Recorded TV, Live TV all the same).

Since a few of us more or less ruled out hardware (memory), it is not really up to Intel to come up with a suggestion what we could try.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

My personal workaround:

Upgraded to 2x 4gb corsair xms3

Installed win7 64bit and newest drivers

Have no more problems since 2 week

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Just decided to do more memory testing by swapping the modules.

My frst configuration was Corsar 2x2GB 1333

My second set was Elpida 2x2GB 1066

My third test was to remove 1 module and run with 1 2GB module

This morning I bought a new kit 2x2GB Adata 1333

All no luck and I've seen the crash in all configurations now.

Mybe my next test is try to up the voltage a bit as suggested elsewhere, but that stll sounds crazy.

Still hoping for Intel to come by in this thread and provide some suggestions.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi elbman!

Before the change of the memory did you have the problem with a 32bit or 64bit Windows 7?

I ask because you wrote that you now have a 64bit Windows 7 in use.

I have never tried Windows 7 64bit on any of my two systems. I always use Win7 32Bit.

To all others:

Who has the media center crash in igdumd32.dll problem with a Windows 7 64bit, too?

Thanks to all of you!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

I changed from 32 to 64bit and have no more igdumd32 (igdumd64) errors ;-)))

Elbman

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Its not a memory error its a graphics card error... most likely you are doing something that is not supported by Intel and with an Intel HD, and since Intel HD does not support diecent video games or graphics, your computer will crash... If the box does not say supports Intel HD and yet you still think you meet the requirments, You will crash...(its a learning experence) its not like the old days where if you met the requirments you could use the product, now with Intel HD it must be supported, and even if it is chances are it will still crash (drivers are not written like they used to be...lol, good...)

do a google search on igdumd32.dll....

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That is interesting.

Ich will change my installations of Win7 32 Bit to Win7 64Bit Version. I will report then.

To all others: Perhaps you can try this, too. Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Albrecht!

I'm not relly sure what you want to tell us.

We use Windows 7 with its own media center application and HD TV on Intel HD Graphics adapters. What could there be unsupported?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Have you also tried going into your admin and looking at all the event logs? I bet there are other things going on at the same time or close to the same time you got this error...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I believe what Albrecht means is that the software (in this case the Media Center player) uses fucntions which are defined by the HD specification and are well supported by AMD and NVIDIA, but not by Intel HD, which is why then it fails.

I also agree with him that this is not memory (I have tested different configurations and brands now), the problem I have with the Intel HD compatibility is that it would probably have to happen a lot more consistent, when starting or using a certain function. For this theory to be true the crash behavior would have to be a lot more consistent.

And yes, exploring and monitoring the event viewer for special errors is something I've done from the beginning.

I don't see anything indicating that it could be related to the actual crash unfortunately.

Also, since I've reproduced it with a native install (before installing all extra's and plugins), I know that it is not related to any of the extra's.

The 64 bit workaround could be a nice one, but would require extensive research if all my plug-ins would still work.

I may go there at some point if this stops the problem, and possibly give up on some plugins.

Plugins I use in Media Center are: a driver for my front panel display (which would break for sure), Media Browser, MyChannelLogo's, VirtualClonedrive, Arcsoft TMW, MCE Standby tool)

Stil hoping for some kind of fix or tweak before taking this plunge (and not yet knowing for sure if that brings relief).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I changed to Windows 7 x64. No Problems for 1 week !!!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Jose,

we are facing the same issue.

Windows 7 Media Center sometimes craches in Live TV Mode when changing channel away from HD or to HD TV Channels.

It also can happen when using fast forward or backward or skipping some seconds. The Problem is very hard to reproduce,

as it happens very sporadic. it´s poosible the Media Center crashes and then it works again the hole day with out any issue.

I could not map it to a heat problem.

This happens under Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Embedded 7 Standard SP1

Faulting application name: ehshell.exe, version: 6.1.7601.17631, time stamp: 0x4e253747

Faulting module name: igdumd32.dll, version: 8.15.10.2476, time stamp: 0x4e415161

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000f9077

Faulting process id: 0x%9

Faulting application start time: 0x%10

Faulting application path: %11

Faulting module path: %12

Report Id: %13

HW configuration:

1. Intel i3 2100T

2. Intel DH61AG

3. Kingston HyperX DDR3-1333, CL7-7-7-20, 1,5V

4. Intel SSD 310 mSata