Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Issues creating custom resolution since Windows 10 (Timing Standard option missing)- Intel HD 5000 on Surface Pro 3

TRans
Novice

Hi all,

I have a Surface Pro 3 with Intel HD 5000 and a Dell P2715Q external 4K monitor. I have recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 (full release, not beta).

In order to use 4K resolution (3640x2160 @ 50Hz) in Windows 8.1, I previously had to install the stock Intel driver (overwriting the Microsoft provided driver for the Surface Pro 3) for the graphics card to allow me to access the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel and to create a Custom Resolution as per the instructions in this guide from the Dell forums:

A custom resolution is required to make this monitor work at 4k.

1. Right-click on the desktop -> Graphics Properties (Intel)
  2. Display
  3. Click on "Display" by the back arrow and select "Custom Resolutions"
  4. Select Display : DELL P2715Q
  5. If the "Custom Resolutions List" is empty, add the following resolution:
  6. 3840 x 2160, 32 Bit, 50p Hz, Timing Standard CVT-RB
  7. http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3529/5280.P2715Q-custom-resolution-4k.png
  • Go to the normal Windows Screen Resolution dialog (Right Click on Desktop -> Screen resolution)
  • Select the Dell monitor
  • Click "Advanced settings"
  • Go to the "Monitor Tab"
  • Uncheck "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display"
  • You should now be able to select the 50Hz 4k resolution and apply it. Windows will remember these settings, so you shouldn't have to do this again.

This approach worked just fine in Windows 8. However since upgrading to Windows 10, I have lost the Custom Resolution (and also needed to reinstall the latest Intel HD 5000 Graphics driver Version: 15.40.4.64.4256 for Windows 10 to regain the Intel Graphics Control Panel).

Now when I launch the Intel Graphics Control Panel on Windows 10 and navigate to Custom Resolutions for the external Dell monitor, I only see the Width, Height, Refresh Rate and Underscan Percentage options. The option for Timing Standard is no longer visible (however the Help still suggests it should be there!). Without the Timing Standard option being changeable I cannot set a working custom resolution.

Trying to set 3640 x 2160 @ 50Hz results in the error "The custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity" as seen below. I believe this is occurring because I can no longer change the Timing Option from the default value (notice the absence of an option for this in the Windows 10 control panel version GUI)??

I look forward to receiving your thoughts. Please help me get my custom 4K resolution back!!

14 Replies
MRoge9
Beginner

I have this exact same problem.

I'm using a Dell U2711 external monitor that requires a custom resolution via HDMI to display native 2560x1440 and the Intel Windows 10 driver is so basic it cannot set it up.

Please Intel update the driver ASAP so we can set up custom resolutions just like in Windows 8.1. The "Timing Standard" option is missing in this driver!

Meaanwhile, I can not use my external monitor...

Any temporary fix would also be appreciated.

0 Kudos
TRans
Novice

I've discovered that if I enable MST on my monitor then I can select the option of 3840x2160@30Hz without need for a custom resolution, which is acceptable in the short term (however my eyes are very sensitive to the low refresh rate (there is some tearing etc. also when dragging windows around etc.).

Clearly not a fix, but acceptable to achieve 4K res in the short term.

Please Intel, advise us why the Timing Mode option for Custom Resolutions has been removed!

0 Kudos
MRoge9
Beginner

Thanks but my Dell U2711 has no MST option... I still cannot use full 2560x1440 resolution.

Please Intel provide an update!!

0 Kudos
Hans_B_Intel
Employee

For further assistance regarding windows 10* and driver issues please refer to the following thread:

/message/321854# 321854 https://communities.intel.com/message/321854

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I was able to replicate same issue. I loaded the latest windows 10 graphics driver 4256 and I see Width, Height, Refresh Rate and Underscan Percentage. The Timing Standard has been removed.

I have reported this issue to our engineering team. I still do not have any update. I will come back if I receive any news from engineering.

Allan.

0 Kudos
ACann3
Beginner

I have the exact same problem, and not able to find a solution and go over 30 pHz. Is there any possible future solution or have I to downgrade from 10 to Windows 8?

Thanks guys

Aless.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I do not have official information that this issue will be solved with future driver updates.

If you would like to go back to your previous operating system, see the link below:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2960692/windows/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-go-back-to-windows-7-or-8.html How to uninstall Windows 10 and go back to Windows 7 or 8 | PCWorld

The above link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Allan.

0 Kudos
SByte
Beginner

Hi,

Same problem, can not select custom timing mode, Surface Pro 3, HD 4400, Windows 10.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

This has been reported to our engineering team.

Allan

0 Kudos
Lkalh
Beginner

It works now on Windows 10. Check this thread for a full description (don't forget to select the correct display on the left when you enter the "Custom Resolution" panel) :

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thank you for reporting this matter.

Allan.

0 Kudos
RFila
Beginner

This issue remains unresolved.

I have just precisely followed the instructions provided by kalhimeo on his post he quoted.

I confirm I have installed Intel driver win64_15407.4279 on my i7 Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10.

Timing Standard remains missing from the GUI yet still referenced in the help page.

See screenshots below.

0 Kudos
RFila
Beginner

I also confirm this issue is NOT resolved. Intel Display Driver v4279 does not offer the correct custom resolution options, nor do the latest drivers v4424.

This is a vital functionality broken since the last Intel branded driver available for Windows 8.1. All new drivers for Windows 10 fail to restore the full functionality. As such, I am stuck at 30Hz refresh rate for my 4K monitor with Surface Pro 3 i7 Intel 5000 Graphics.

When is the driver going to be fixed, or, is there any way the Windows 8 driver can be installed on Windows 10?

Thanks,

Richard

0 Kudos
AGrae2
Beginner

Have you guys tried the http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU Custom Resolution Utilty (CRU) ? It's simple and works wonders on my Beebox N3150. It adds a native resolution to your display by overriding EDID in the registry. I needed 1360x768@48hz for my HTPC (60hz is just the worst for movies... stuttering constantly) and the control panel wouldn't allow it (although I could add a costum resolution, it just wouldn't apply).

Just add your desired resolution under "detailed resolution", hit ok and restart your display driver, done.

It works on intel devices although in the thread it says, it shouldn't. So maybe it works on laptops too (those aren't supported as well)?

0 Kudos