Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14507 Discussions

Core i7-4790k Heating went from bad to worse

ER2
Beginner

I have the i7-4790k which I installed out of the box with the applied thermal grease already on the heatsink. The computer would run a decent temp such as 45*C but once it was in Windows 7 Ultimate doing something as simple as surfing the Internet, it would jump up in to the 70*C range. I figured I would degrease the CPU. I disassembled the Heatsink assembly and used 90% isopropyl alcohol to clean the old paste off of the copper core of the Heatsink and used the same to clean off the CPU. I reapplied Arctic Silver compound (which I have had for a while). I simply put a dab on the to center of the CPU. When I reassembled and started the computer, it instantly read as 88*C. I do not understand why.Is Arctic Silver not good enough for this CPU? I just built this machine and have hardly used it.

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1

CPU: Core i7-4790k

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)

PSU: EVGA 220-G2-0850-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ER2
Beginner

Found that the Heatsink had been ill-fitted. Cleaned the Heatsink and CPU, regreased with Arctic Silver, and properly attached the fan. Runs average 69*C at 4.2GHz.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ER2
Beginner

Found that the Heatsink had been ill-fitted. Cleaned the Heatsink and CPU, regreased with Arctic Silver, and properly attached the fan. Runs average 69*C at 4.2GHz.

Cesar_B_Intel
Employee

Hello cpubuilder1

You may also get important information by referring to

Regards,

Cesar B.