Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14400 Discussions

4770K Clocked to 4.2GHz

MPar1
Beginner

Hey Guys,

I built a new rig recently - it's about 2 weeks old at this point. I noticed (when monitoring my temps through software) that the rated frequency for my 4770k has been consistently fluctuating between 4.1 GHz to 4.2 GHz.

I'm kind of confused as to why this is happening, because it's rated at 3.5 GHz out of the box and 3.9 GHz with turbo enabled. The kicker is that I haven't changed any BIOS settings nor have I done anything to actively attempt to overclock this CPU, yet it is running at a decently (from what I've seen) stable clock speed. I believe the base frequency is around 100 MHz and the multipliers on each core were anywhere from between 41 to 43.

My setup is as follows:

Mobo: Asus Z87-Plus

CPU: Intel 4770K

RAM: 16GB Corsair Low Profile (1600 Mhz)

GPU: AMD FirePro V4900

PSU: Corsair TX-750M

Cooling: Corsair H55 (2x Corsair SP120 High Performance attached), 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition, 1x Stock Corsair 120mm (the one that came with the H55) and 2x Stock Fractal Design case fans

The only reason why I assume the CPU to be stable at this clock is because I'm getting anywhere between 27-28 to 33C for idle temps (my room is the hottest in the house and we don't have AC. It all depends on how the temperature/weather is outside) and anywhere between 55-65C at 100% load for when I'm pushing some renderings. I tried running Prime95 with this rig for about 2 hours and I didn't get BSOD - I think the CPU may have peaked at 70C with this test.

Would anyone know why I'm getting the performance of an OC'ed system even though I haven't OC'ed it? (not that I'm complaining)

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hello par_m,

Based on the description I recommend you doing the following:

1. Access the BIOS and reset it to default settings.
  2. You may run the Intel ® Processor Diagnostics Tool. This will diagnose the processor and test every single internal component inside the processor and then it will generate a report with the results. You can get it at:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19792&keyword=Processor+Diagnostics+Tool&DownloadType=Utilities%2c+Tools+and+Examples&lang=eng https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19792&keyword=Processor+Diagnostics+Tool&DownloadType=Utilities%2c+Tools+and+Examples&lang=eng

1. Update the drivers on your system including the BIOS chipset.
  2. Test the processor in other system if possible.

After doing these steps if issue persists and if the processor is running at its default speed, I recommend you contacting the seller or our support for them to proceed with a replacement if necessary.

0 Kudos