Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

Removal of SAS R5 from RSTe....does ESRT2 EFI Boot?

GTobi1
New Contributor II

Hello,

I had previously offered the RKSAS4R5 as a software RAID 5 option for SAS disks. RSTe has been the preferred configuration because firstly it supports EFI boot and secondly I could pre-install the console to manage the RAID array. One downside was that I couldn't designate a hot spare in the RSTe BIOS utility and had to wait until I had the console installed on the OS, yes I know CLi exists but it's too much hardship for me.

I was disappointed to see that in the latest RSTe driver/BIOS that SAS R5 has been removed so previously where the RKSAS4R5 would operate in both RSTs and ESRT2 mode it will now work in ESRT2 mode only.

A few questions as a result.

1. Why was SAS R5 removed from RSTe driver 3.8.0.1111?
  2. Will SAS R5 support be added back at a later date?
  3. Can current implementations of ESRT2 allow EFI BOOT?
  4. Is ESRT2 performance below par when compared to RSTe
  5. We build servers for resellers and I understand that the Intel RAID Web console cannot be pre-installed from a Windows Server audit boot environment because firstly an administrator password is required and secondly if the reseller changes the default server name (100% likely) the installation no longer works.Is my understanding correct or can Intel RAID Web Console 2 be pre-installed?

Of course one advantage to using ESRT2 is that I can pre designate a hot spare in the BIOS setup. Why can hot spares not be designated in the BIOS pages for the RSTe?

Regards,

GT

==================

Known Restrictions

==================

1. SAS features are enabled on SATA/SAS Capable Controller if appropriate Intel(R) RAID C600 Upgrade Key is present in the system.

2. RAID 5 is no longer supported by SATA/SAS Capable Controller when SAS features are enabled.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

1&2. SAS RAID 5 on RSTe is never supported, and is not likely to be added. See http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/CS-033461.htm Intel® RAID Quick Reference Guide.

3. Unfortunately no.

4. I don't think there is a big difference in performance between RSTe and ESRT2.

5. I don't think changing the server name would impact RWC2. RWC2 discovers servers by IP address.

0 Kudos
GTobi1
New Contributor II

Thanks for reply is there a way to install RWC2 in audit mode of Windows server (2008/2012/2012R2) where the admin account does not yet have a password?

0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

I know that silent install is available using the command:

Setup.exe /s /v"/qn SETUPTYPE=

where setuptype may be StandAlone, Client or Server.

But I don't know if it will work or not before setting admin password.

0 Kudos