Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20497 Discussions

Blank screen when resuming from connected standby

SXu12
Beginner

I am experiencing blank screen issue on all driver versions after 10.18.15.4279. Many Helix 2 user also report the same problem on Lenovo forum, but the issue has never been resolved in the newer versions. Version 4279 and before do not have this issue.

Below is the information:

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

When waking a computer from connected standby in windows 10, the screen is blank (power led is on), and then it seems the machine freezes. I have to hard reset the computer to reboot into desktop.

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

sometimes, about 50%

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Thinkpad Helix 2nd gen tablet

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

HD Graphics 5300 only

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP

<td style="padding: 0 5.4pt; border-right-width: 1pt; border-bottom-width: 1pt; border-style: none solid solid none; border-right-color: windowtext; b...
0 Kudos
34 Replies
SXu12
Beginner

Thanks for the reply, however, for Helix 2nd tablet, Lenovo simply uses public driver from Intel without customization (as reflected by their changelog). In addition, the newest Intel graphics driver provided in their support page (which is after ver4279) has the same blank screen issue as described above.

I have updated all drivers and BIOS to the newest version but none of them helps. Lenovo doesn't care about this issue although many users complained the same graphics driver issue in the support forum... That's why I think reporting here might be some help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
SXu12
Beginner

After reinstalling windows 10 and trying 20.19.15.4364 for several days, it seems the issue is resolved. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi goforce

I am glad your system is working properly.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
SXu12
Beginner

Sorry, but my tablet start to encounter the same issue as before even after reinstalling windows 10. I have tried the driver version you suggested, and the version that is auto-updated by windows 10. Neither of them solve the issue. It is still version 4279 that can avoid problem somehow.

I also found that the blank screen didn't make the whole system freeze. It seems it is just lack of output to the tablet screen, and the system is still working (i can hear notification sound when the screen is blank).

Could you offer some help?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi goforce

If you are not getting video with the latest graphics driver by Lenovo; neither our generic driver; it will be necessary to contact Lenovo for troubleshooting or maintenance.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi goforce

I am following your case. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
SXu12
Beginner

Thanks! I was trying to find the cause of this issue recently.

Lenovo has released a new version 20.19.15.4416 a week ago. I am currently using this driver.

Although the blank screen still happens with this version, I found it might actually be correlated with some other software. I found a clean installation of windows 10 will not incur blank screen issue (or at least very infrequently), but till some point the blank screen issue started to happen again. I suspected it was because I installed some new software later on. For example, I suspected Lenovo's software for thinkpad or other drivers (e.g. Cisco Anyconnect, as I saw fatal error in the event log when the blank screen issue happen). What I am doing recently is to get rid of these software. After making sure that the blank screen issue doesn't happen again, I will gradually reinstall them one by one to see who is the culprit. I will let you know once I find the cause.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi goforce

I am glad your system is working properly now. I will be waiting your results.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi goforce,

I am following your case. Let me know how the graphics driver is working in your Thinkpad Helix 2nd gen tablet.

Mike C
0 Kudos
SXu12
Beginner

Thanks for the followup. I didn't experience any blank screen issue any more since the installation of latest windows insider build 14342. My GFX driver version is 20.19.15.4416. I feel like this issue is resolved. BTW, I didn't install any Lenovo companion software (like Thinkpad setting dependency or system foundation driver), and I don't have time to verify if they will bring about any more issues.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi goforce,

You are welcome. I am going to close your case. If you need further assistance, you just need to add a new post in the thread.

Mike C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Nomendos,

I regret for the inconvenience; however, your pc requires customized drivers from your pc manufacturer. The latest drivers are available in the link below:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-Helix-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-Helix-Type-20CG-20CH?tabName=Downloads&linkTrack=Mast:SubNav:Support:Drivers%20and%20Software|Drivers%20and%20Software&beta=false

Regards,

Mike C

0 Kudos
NNome
Beginner

Please read my post carefully. I researched thoroughly this problem and troubleshooted all options. If you read my post carefully, before I was able to install 1st version of Win10 Core M HD 5300 driver from Intel. Now that is blocked by windows (multiple ways; by signing requirement and by requirement for OEM driver).

I tried to follow all details on this thread and it is of absolute no use, plus that a bit older (or any old) driver is not available for download anymore from Lenovo as link always gets you to the latest, which does not work at all with sleep/resume (nor display off).

Can you file a bug to Intel Graphics team? (as they never had driver for Broadwell that could work sleep/resume and I am hearing same situation with Sandy bridge, etc,.. How could Intel Graphics engineers and organization be so lousy?)

Can someone really help with some constructive suggestion that can be followed and reproduced as fix or file bug?

Note: Microsoft is "forcing" Win10 updates so Intel has no way to say anymore "we do not support that driver", since with this they will kill all old PC's and make people really mad (i.e. no wonder PC sales are falling)/

0 Kudos
kshen6
Beginner

yes , this helps a lot , I have a drawing tablet xp-pen Deco 02 ( https://www.xp-pen.com/product/88.html ) works with my lenovo laptop for graphic design , I meet this issue also .

0 Kudos
NNome
Beginner

Problem is not fixed, nor it ever was! Last driver, from Lenovo (same from Windows update build 1607) is http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-Helix-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-Helix-Type-20CG-20CH/downloads/DS103422 v20.19.15.4444 from 13-06-2016 and it gives black screen very often as well as others.

Only driver that ever worked well with sleep/RESUME without black screen was 2015/09/01 win64 v15.40.7.4279 which is 1st Win10 driver (which makes sense as 1st product validation is most strict and later Intel patches bugs for other parts maybe not testing same way previously released parts!?).

Initially, last year there was way to disable driver updating an it worked for a while, up until ~July, but Microsoft started ignoring it and they force update driver with regular windows update despite user's setting/wish. Further insult is I can not anymore install old only working driver "v15.40.7.4279", because Win10 TH2/build1607 now requires signed drivers and even if I would disable driver signing further problem is on Lenovo you can not use https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/84188 Intel drivers anymore (which it was allowed before).

This situation is big pain to all Helix 2nd.

Note: I use Helix 2nd, Core M 5Y71, 8GB RAM, 256 GB Intel SSD (... and I've seen these machines being sold for "dumping prices" ~$300 most likely due to this problem that is ignored and not fixed for so long!?). I did not fully characterized behavior of this but as I see there could be more details to its behavior, so I'll let Intel do that.

Intel, please fix this:

1. making new HD 5300 driver update with proper fix

or 2. either signing v15.40.7.4279 and telling us how can we install this version on Lenovo Helix 2nd

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Nomendos,

In regards to your case, fill out the sticky note, Intel SSU (System Support Utility) report and DxDiag report. I am going to send these information to my upper level. They will study your case and might be able to push your pc manufacturer to release a newer customized graphics driver. The resolution will take some time.

Sticky form

/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Mike C
NNome
Beginner

Hi Mike and thanks for offer to help!

SSU.xml and DxDiag.txt are attached.

Besides resume from sleep I recently noticed problem after just display off as well, but did not have time to play more and confirm.

p.s. I work for Intel and have few colleagues who would be happy to see this fixed. What is the best way to contact each other internally?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Nomendos,

Thank you for your feedback; I would be answering you as soon as I receive a update.

Mike C
0 Kudos