Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20621 Discussions

New HD 530 driver made the "stopped responding"-bug rare, but introduced rectangular glitches.

TRant2
Beginner

Sorry for the messy table, looks OK while editing, but the borders disappear after posting for some reason.

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

See the attached screen shots. Rectangular glitches appear on screen randomly. Most often when switching/alt-tabbing to a new window. Also sometimes when filling text fields or right clicking to pop up the menu in some applications. The glitches disappear when painting over them with the mouse or reloading the page.

The problem started after installing HD Graphics 530 driver 20.19.15.4380. Using earlier drivers, every driver/BIOS combination had the infamous "dark screen, freeze, stopped responding/recovered" -bug, which I was unable to fix. With .4380 the "stopped responding" -bug appears only rarely, but it introduced these glitches. Asus graphics drivers seem to be just older versions of the generic drivers.

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

Only sometimes, randomly, but over a hundred times per day? I feel like they go in waves, so for a while I get it constantly, then for some time very rarely. They appear more often when switching to/from a webpage in Firefox or application to another, and very rarely when staying in one application or playing a game.

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Built from parts. Asus H110I-PLUS, Intel Core i3-6100.

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Only iGPU.

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

Samsung 24E390HL EFP

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

8 Gb

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the ...

0 Kudos
39 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Virrhe,

There is a new graphics driver; please download it and let me know how it works.

Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* 15.40.20.4404

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25848/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-?product=88345 Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40]

Regards,

Mike C

0 Kudos
TRant2
Beginner

Thank you for replying.

Already did. Immediately after installing and rebooting saw glitches again, but right now the screen is clear.

0 Kudos
TRant2
Beginner

Yes, seems like no change. The view is still garbled every now and then.

0 Kudos
TRant2
Beginner

"Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered." -bug appeared again after a few days of never seeing it, so it seems the new updates didn't get rid of it after all, just made it rare. Considering rolling back to an older driver, even tho the crashes happen much more often, so I wouldn't have to watch these constant glitches.

(I wonder why Intel allows Asus to harm their reputation by letting them advertise this motherboard with Intel HD Graphics support, since working driver/BIOS combination for it has probably never existed. They keep advertising and selling more of these every day, and more people like me get stuck with unstable systems.)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Virrhe,

Please send me the results of Intel® System Support Utility and Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool. Send them as an attachment.

Intel® System Support Utility

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
TRant2
Beginner

Your (Intel Corporation) email is private so I can't send you email. I can't find a way to put attachments in the direct messaging system, or these replies either. I was able to attach the results from processor diagnostic tool (TESTRESULTS.TXT) to the original message. For some reason I couldn't add another attachment. The original message has results from the support utility at the time I posted it. The current one should be pretty much the same, except I have 20.19.15.4404 Intel HD Graphics 530 driver instead of the .4380.

Please let me know if you got everything you need. Sending a personal message as well.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Virrhe,

I have seen the issue while playing some games but not with normal use. Please perform the troubleshooting below.

Uninstall and delete the current graphics driver from your computer; restart the pc and run Windows® 10 update; it will install the version 4380 or older.

Let me know how it works.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
TRant2
Beginner

Done.

After uninstall/delete/reboot .4327 (?) was autoinstalled for a minute, and right after, .4331.

I've had these older drivers installed before, and now the older problems reappear as expected: Critical event - "igfxHK Module stopped working" in reliability monitor, as seen before. This I fixed before with these instructions http://superuser.com/questions/796396/how-to-disable-igfxhk-module-process-from-starting-up-with-windows How to disable "igfxHK Module" process from starting up with Windows - Super User

.. but I can leave it as it is for now. That critical event will repeat every now and then. With this driver I had the "stopped responding / has recovered" quite a bit more often, but not those visual glitches.

What next? Wait for the "stopped responding"-bug to reappear and report?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Virrhe,

Intel is always improving the graphics performance; it is releasing newer drivers continuously.

By any chance, did you test your system with any other high speed quality video cable HDMI 1.4a or b.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
TRant2
Beginner

Yes, I can see the difference when using these older drivers. In general, the graphics are more sluggish and when switching between some programs and the desktop (especially with alt-tab), sometimes the new screen doesn't appear but stays black and I need to alt-tab again to get the picture.

Today, at boot, again, igfxHK critical event. No "responding/recovered" -crash yet in these couple of hours.

No, I didn't test a different cable.

I can't imagine this being a faulty cable, because

1. The errors are driver-specific - different drivers, different errors.

.4380 or newer -> Glitches. No sluggishness, no trouble switching to/from desktop. Very rare "responding/recovered" error.

Older -> No Glitches. Sluggishness and dark screens when switching from desktop. IgfxHK events. More frequent "responding/recovered".

2. The glitches are not only in a certain part of the screen, as is common with faulty HDMI cables, but connected with elements already appearing/changing in the screen. I could find no samples of this kind of behavior in any of the typical HDMI cable failure examples.

This is a short (2 m) high speed HDMI 1.4 cable with gilded connectors, over 4000 sold in this shop with 0% RMA. I could get a new one, but to be honest, I have trouble imagining the mechanics how the cable could produce windows graphics driver error messages. Are you really suggesting that a new HDMI cable could stop the crashes of your graphics driver?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Virrhe,

We have seen many video issues caused by poor quality cables or with defects.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
TRant2
Beginner

Very well. I will get a new cable and test. I'll test with another monitor as well, since if a faulty cable really could produce this bug, surely a monitor could as well. Amazing.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Virrhe,

I will be waiting the results of your test.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
TRant2
Beginner

All right, tested with a smaller analog monitor and a VGA cable. With the newer drivers, glitches. (.4404).

All these pictures of the glitches are print screens. Does the monitor really somehow send information back to the computer, so that the graphics glitches caused by a faulty cable would show up in print screens? I think either there was a misunderstanding about the pictures being photographs, I am being trolled, or the print screen function works quite differently than I thought.

The "stopped responding"-bug seems now to be so rare that it hasn't reappeared in 4 days. Rolling back again to the sluggish, sometimes-stuck-to-black older drivers. The glitches with the new, quick, more responsive drivers are just too annoying.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Virrhe,

You are using a converter from Digital to Analog display. Is it possible to test your system with a monitor (tv) with HDMI or DisplayPort?

Regards,

Mike C

0 Kudos
TRant2
Beginner

The first monitor was connected with HDMI. So now I need to get a third monitor to test? Just a new cable isn't enough anymore - I agree. Since the same symptoms and troubles are present with different cables and different monitors, it is very unlikely that the source for them was the cable or the monitor.

Suppose I can find a third monitor, another one with HDMI, and for the third time, there are the same symptoms. Are you then going to ask me to get a fourth monitor with DisplayPort and test with it? I have to say this is getting frustrating.

I can try to get yet another cable, but it would help me a lot if you could give me an idea what we are looking for here with this third experiment. Are you seriously suggesting that both the monitors and/or cables (using different signal) somehow produce exactly the same glitches?

Here's what i think: Both cables are fine. Both monitors are fine. The problems are coming from the iGPU.

"Responding/recovered" -error appeared again yesterday as well.

Another theory I came up with while observing the black, non-updating screens: The new drivers show ugly glitches, so I'm using the older drivers now. The older drivers, instead of showing the glitches, don't update the screen at all, but they stay black and I have to refresh. They are actually working theoretically worse than the new ones, but for aesthetic reasons are a little less irritating to use for now.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Virrhe,

I am trying to narrow down the issue. Could you please confirm if you already updated the BIOS and latest chipset driver of your computer.

Please do a test in Windows® safe mode, let me know how it works.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
TRant2
Beginner

Yes, I have updated to the new BIOS:

H110I-PLUS - BIOS 0412 - 2016/03/11

The drivers in the chipset section at the webpage of this motherboard are from last year and seem to be of the general kind:

Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility V10.1.1.7 for Windows 7 32bit & 64bit / 8.1 64bit / 10 64bit. - 2015/08/03. I installed this. Intel® Driver Update Utility didn't tell me to update it to a newer one so I didn't.

Management Engine Interface V11.0.0.1160 for Windows Win10 64bit---(WHQL) - 2015/10/26. This is an older version than the one that was installed automatically with Windows. It was giving me fatal errors during installation attempts because of that, but since then it now shows the versions. Asus help desk told me that the newer one (11.0.0.1181) is fine and that I don't need to roll back, so that's what I'm using.

In my system devices I can see a bunch of "Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family" -drivers, so I suppose that is the one I have installed?

Please clarify what you mean by a test - Do you you want me to install the new graphics drivers again, boot in safe mode and see if there are glitches?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Virrhe,

Yes, please test your system in Windows® safe mode. Please do it with the latest graphics driver and with the Beta driver.

Regards,

Mike C
0 Kudos
TRant2
Beginner

Err.. what difference does the installed graphics driver make in this case? Isn't it being bypassed and Microsoft Basic Display Driver is being loaded and used, while in safe mode?

Well, I installed .4404 anyway tho I think it isn't being loaded, and tested in safe mode with networking. (The maximum resolution with the MS Basic Display Driver is 1024x768.)

In 40 minutes of testing, none of those black glitches. One rare phenomenon I found in this mode that is common with the newer drivers and and safe mode with MS basic display driver but I haven't encountered yet with older drivers: this one website that loads very high resolution images and allows smooth scrolling with mouse doesn't always update the whole image if there are more windows of Firefox with changing content open. https://tuinderlusten-jheronimusbosch.ntr.nl/en Jheronimus Bosch - the Garden of Earthly Delights

One thing I did recently was to check for updates by clicking through drivers in device manager. In Firmware it found new drivers and replaced the old one with some Lenovo drivers.

Old one: Microsoft System Firmware 10.0.10586.0 from 21.6.2006

New one: Lenovo H110 System Firmware 0.3 0.0.0.30 from 17.3.2016

Didn't notice any difference in graphics.

0 Kudos