Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Flickering Textures in Dreamfall / Windows 7 / Intel HD Graphics 530

JDool
Beginner

I'm encountering strange graphics issues playing Dreamfall: The Longest Journey (released in 2006). I would appreciate any assistance.

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey suffers from severe graphics glitches. Many of the textures flicker constantly as long as the camera is moving.

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

The problems appear every time the game is run. Changing the in-game graphics quality settings has no effect.

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Custom-built PC with Intel Core i5-6400, H170M-PLUS ASUS motherboard

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Just Intel HD Graphics 530

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

EFP: ASUS VS238, no other displays

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

8 GB

Provide any other hardware needed to replicate the issue.

ie: Cables&brand, cable type [vga, hdmi, DP, etc], dock, dongles/adapters, etc

Display plugged in via DVI

Hardware Stepping (see note1 below).

See attached screenshot

<td rowspan="4" style="border: 0px solid black; paddi...
0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Journeyperson,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

Have you tried installing the Latest Beta driver, you can download it here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25848/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-?v=t https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25848/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-?v=t

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
JDool
Beginner

Thanks for your reply. I installed the Beta driver and rebooted, but unfortunately it made no difference.

I hadn't tried this before, because I was a bit confused about the version numbers. Now I see that only the last four digits of the version number are the ones that matter. Furthermore, I find it a bit strange that the Beta version on the download page you linked to is version 15.40.20.4404, and yet, after I installed it, the driver's control panel reports the version as 20.19.15.4404. This is just a side note; the end result is that the game is still glitchy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Try uninstalling the driver restart your system and then reinstall the driver again, I also suggest you to have Windows up to date and the latest BIOS version installed.

I see that you have Windows 7 installed, have you considered to install Windows 10 to see if that can make it work better?

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
JDool
Beginner

I uninstalled the Beta driver, rebooted, and reinstalled it. There is no difference in the game.

I'm not going to install Windows 10, but I have discovered a workaround. I've got Windows XP running in VirtualBox and Dreamfall works fine inside that. It's not as fast as I'd like it to be, but at least it's playable. I think this issue can be closed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the information that you have kindly shared with us.

It looks like it is more compatible with Windows* XP as it is what the developers recommend. You can check the Recommended Requirements at:

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/dreamfall-the-longest-journey/10443 http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/dreamfall-the-longest-journey/10443

NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos