Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Ghosts on Intel HD graphics 4600

STrei
Beginner

Hi,

I am new, actually I made this account just to report this issue since I did not find it anywhere else described.

I don't know if the title is accurate, but I don't really know technically how to describe the problem.

So, the point is that randomly quite often when I move my cursor in texts or windows from explorer I got some ghosts which remain still for a few seconds and then disappear. Sometimes they disappear immediately after I finish pushing the arrow button, sometimes they still persist a few more seconds. I am sorry it is not easy to explain the issue, but I think the pictures below will give you a much better description.

If you look carefully on all three images you will see that they have some "ghost" lines. I made these by moving my cursor using the arrow keys.

I made the pictures by a camera, because the print screen does not capture these ghosts.

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

Ghosts when moving the cursors with the arrow keys

Does it fail every single time, or only sometimes?

If you can offer a % rate please do.

90% of the time

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

Acer Aspire V15 nitro VN7-591G

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

Hybrid graphichs. Intel HD graphics 4600 (I7-4220HQ) and NV GTX 960M

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

EFP = External Flat Panel (Monitor you plug in)

LFP

How much memory [RAM] in the system (see note2 below).

16 GB

</t...
0 Kudos
10 Replies
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hello Sebastian_T,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

Honestly I'm not able to see anything weird on that picture.

At this point if you are getting any problems as you described it, I suggest to have Windows up to date and also to update your driver from your system manufacturer website.

For the graphics driver you can download the latest version here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25860/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-40-4th-Gen-?product=81496 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen]

If the problem persists, you can try the Beta driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25848/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-?v=t Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40]

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
STrei
Beginner

Hi,

Well probably it is hard to explain what's wrong. In the first picture, the lines which separate the folders, should not be there.

In the second picture the lines between the letters of the first sentence should not be there.

In the third picture I think is quite clear. The green lines between the letters should not be there as well.

BTW, did you look at the details provided? You can clearly see that the drivers are the latest, so your suggestion does not really makes sense.

However, digging more deeply into the problem and being quite amazed that nobody reported the problem till now, and nobody even raised the problem anywhere, I was thinking that is something just with my notebook or my settings. And actually it turned out it is true. I have a 4k display on my notebook (unfortunately), but I don't need this resolution all the time, since it is quite intensive for the integrated GPU to handle 4k. So I I was using the display at 1080p. At this resolution I had the problems described above, however, when I switched to native resolution, the problem disappeared completely.

Now I don't really know what is truly the problem, windows? Intel drivers which don't "refresh" all the pixels when running on non-native resolution? or simply it is a physical limit of the monitor itself? Since I don't have knowledge how the data flows towards the monitor, and who is responsible for this I cannot tell where is the problem.

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your clarification, and yes we have not seen this issue before but I can go ahead and check on this.

Is it possible to connect an external monitor to the laptop to see if you get the same problem?

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
STrei
Beginner

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply.

Well, I connected an external display via HDMI (only way to connect it).

The display is a 27 inch Benq GW2760 with the native resolution of 1920x1080.

If I use the native resolution of this display I don't get any artifacts, but if I use the 1366x768 resolution, I start to experience the same problem, but not at such a level as on the notebook monitor. I still have those "ghost" lines as above, but let's say that instead of 10 for example, there are just 5 or 6.

I also tested the monitor on a different computer, this time a PC and not a notebook. The PC has the monitor connected to a Nvidia gforce 640 graphics card. I use the same operating system, and even if I use the non-native resolution of 1366x768 I don't get any of the artifacts on the monitor. So it looks like the problem is not related to the monitor itself, or the operating system (I can be wrong), so it could be something on the Intel drivers side, or just how the graphics cards work on an notebook, I don't know.

Best regards,

Sebastian

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Let me further investigate on this, so I can assist you better.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hi Sebastian_T ,

Please try the following to try to narrow down the cause of the issue:

Forgive me if you already tried this.

1. Boot in Windows Safe Mode.
  2. Note the screen resolution that defaults in Safe Mode.
  3. Try to duplicate the issue in Safe Mode. Can you see the issue in safe mode?
  4. If yes, then this is most likely a hardware issue (e.g. Cables, Memory or CPU).
  5. If no, then go back and boot in Normal mode. Switch the screen resolution to the same used during Safe Mode and try to duplicate the issue.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
STrei
Beginner

Hi,

I am sorry, but this will not be at all informative for you.

In safe mode the OS runs the native resolution of 3840x2160. As you expect I don't get any problem, and as well I don't get any problem in normal mode when I operate in the native resolution. The problem occurs when I operate in non-native resolution.

However, I can tell you something odd which I saw. In the boot options in windows you have also an option "Enable low resolution video". If I select this option, my computer starts normally (not in safe mode) but with a resolution of 1024x768. It is a non-native resolution, with intel drivers, but no any problem at all. Everything runs fine, and I cannot replicate any of the problems from above. But when I start normally, the PC and switch the resolution to 1024x768, I get the problems which are described above.

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

So the problem still persists when you run the system in normal mode. Let me do more research on this and most likely a new driver will come up soon that we can try to solve this problem.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
STrei
Beginner

Hello,

Just an update. My 4k screen suddenly had a vertical row of dead pixels. So I ended up replacing the screen on the notebook but I expressly asked for a 1080p panel.

With this panel and with the new 4424 drivers from intel I still can reproduce the problem above, using a non-native resolution (eg 1366x768). So it could suggest that the original panel wasn't the source of the problem. However, since I have a 1080p screen I don't need to work anymore on non-native resolutions so for me this issue is not important.

Best regards,

Sebastian

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

From my side, I was not able to reproduce this issue but I'm glad that at least the issue is not a problem for you anymore.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos