Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Intel HD graphics control panel not recognizing second monitor

GSidh1
Beginner

Hi all,

I have a laptop (8g ram, iGPU intel HD graphics 5500, dedicated GPU GTX 860M GPU, i7-5500 @ 2.4 GHz w/ 1920x1080 resolution) running windows 10 which I occasionally attach to a second monitor (2560x1440) via an Alienware amplifier (GPU is GTX 960 4gig version) via display port. Attached is an image with more details regarding intel HD graphics.

Using laptop on own - no problems

Attaching second monitor but leaving laptop open - no problems

Attaching second monitor but closing laptop screen - problem

The problem is that things become very choppy on the second monitor. The only situation where second monitor is not choppy is with laptop screen not closed, and display settings in "extended display". If I put it in "second screen only" or close the laptop screen it becomes choppy. By "choppy" I mean EVERYTHING is choppy. Just scrolling on a webpage becomes noticeably difficult. This is a new problem, I've used this setup for about a year without issues, although I have recently upgraded to windows 10 and since then it has been like this.

On trying to troubleshoot, I tried to open the Intel HD graphics control panel and realized I could only open it if the monitors were connected in extended display. Once I changed it to second screen only, I was unable to open it. When I open it in extended display, it only recognized one display which is the "built-in" display at 1920x1080 (i.e. my laptop screen). Windows does recognize I have 2 screens and so does the NVIDIA control panel. I have updated virtually every driver possible, including the NVIDIA GPU, the second screen monitor and Windows 10 updates. I updated the intel HD graphics driver first with intel driver update utility but this didn't help, and then secondly via device manager where it actually seemed to fix things in that I was able to use second screen only without lag, but after restarting the laptop the problem came back. I tried to update the drivers again but it says they are up to date. When I look up the adapters for the second monitor using dxdiag, in extended display it shows BOTH intel HD graphics and GTX 960. In second screen only, it shows ONLY GTX 960.

I would appreciate any help in this. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: attached image

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello mynameislong,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

Have you tried installing the Latest Beta driver, you can download it here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25848/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-?v=t https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25848/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40-?v=t

I suggest unistalling both of your drivers the Nvidia driver and the Intel driver, then install this beta driver first and then the Nvidia driver, restart your system.

Do you have the same problem if you use the external monitor straight from the Laptop?

I suggest you to make the external monitor as the primary monitor and check if you get better display.

Test different cable if it is possible.

Regards,

Ivan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

I'm just following on this thread to ask you if our recommendations solved your problem.

Thanks,

Ivan

0 Kudos