Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Wake On Lan

idata
Employee

I know how to set and work Wake Up On Lan and it works. My question is more about Wake Up On Lan in general. Is there anyway at all to use Wake Up On Lan over WiFi or dose it only work when the pc is connected to Lan(cable)? Is there any other way to wake the pc from Sleep Mode by my Router or something? Or is the only Wake Up On Lan by Cable only?

I have to ask this then if you only can use Wake Up On Lan by using Cable only. How come in Device Manager and select my WiFi card and go to Power Management I have 3 setting 1: Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. 2: Allow this device to wake the computer. 3: Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer. The under the Advanced Tap I have options like this 1: ARP offload for WoWLAN. 2: GTK rekeying for WoWLAN. 3: NS offload for WoWLAN. 4: Sleep on WoWLAN Disconnect. 5: Wake on Magic Packet. 6: Wake on Pattern Match. That's all under my wireless card so how came Wake On Lan can't be used over WiFi but I have all of the options? I can say over WiFi with my pc on and I use a Wake On Lan Tool to test if everything is setup right it passes and I can even put my pc to sleep using WiFi just can't wake it.

Windows 10. Wireless Card Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Latest Driver Update 15.18.0.1

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Scwab,

WoWLan does not only depend on the the adapter. Your system must be compatible with this feature othewise it will not work even though you see the options. Our recommendation is that you consult with your computer manufacturer in order to find out whether it is compatible or not. Please check this article published by Microsoft* in order to find out more: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff571052(v=vs.85).aspx Wake-On-Wireless LAN and also this one: http://notes-application.abcelectronique.com/027/27-45534.pdf Intel® Centrino® Mobile Technology Wake on Wireless LAN (WoWLAN) Features

Let us know if this helped you.

ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Eric Schwab,

It has been several days since our interaction and so far we haven't heard from you. We would like to know if the information we provided helped you clarify your doubts.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello Eric,

We hope the information we provided above helped you clarifying your doubts.

0 Kudos