Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

IRST Partition New Installation

KKend
Beginner

I have IRST running on a pre-built machine and love it... I want to build another utilizing IRST.

I want to use a 250GB SSD (64 for IRST) with a 4TB HDD.

I'd like to use the 64GB to accelerate the 4TB, and use the remaining 186GB for the OS (WIN 7 or 10)

Is this possible? Are there any insights/recommendations/limitations to this? For example, I figured I would configure BIOS, install OS to HDD, install IRST to partition SSD, then re-install OS on remaining SSD space.

If this isn't possible I will bite the bullet and just use a 2nd SSD.

Parts being used for setup:

ASUS LGA1151 DDR4 H170 ATX Motherboard H170Intel Boxed Core I5-6500 FC-LGA14C 3.20 Ghz 6 M Processor Cache 4 LGA 1151 BX80662I56500Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E250B/AM)WD Blue 4TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD40EZRZ

Windows 7 OEM or 10 OEM (haven't decided)

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KKend
Beginner

No takers?

2nd (easier?) question: What about an SSD for the OS and using a 2nd SSD to accelerate a large HDD?

0 Kudos
KKend
Beginner

I found an old forum thread that gives me confidence it can be done... (Cache on same SSD as OS boot)

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/intel-smart-response-cache-windows-on-same-ssd.53030/ https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/intel-smart-response-cache-windows-on-same-ssd.53030/

Worst case, it doesn't work and I just go with a less-fun/more-simple solution. I'll post back on this thread if I find anything interesting and/or helpful. I can't test it for another month though (when I return home).

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I understand Intel® Rapid Storage does not see partitions, so, the option for SSD cache and OS at same time with one SSD drive won't be possible.

The second question is feasible. SSD with OS and second SSD to accelerate large disk.

Allan.

KKend
Beginner
0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee
0 Kudos