Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Desktop PC's HDMI port doesn't work with second monitor

idata
Employee

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to set up a second monitor on my home desktop PC using the HDMI port, since there's only one VGA port available and it's already occupied by the first monitor. However, there's no incomming signal coming from it and the monitor stays blank.

I remember seeing options related to HDMI ports in the Intel Graphics Panel so I went looking for it to see if I had to check a checkbox or enable it manually, but the panel is missing. Apparently I lost it when I recently formatted and upgraded to Windows 8.1 (had 7 previously), or maybe it was just never available in this computer to start with and I don't remember exactly.

Naturally, I came to this site looking for drivers to see if that would help the HDMI issue or at least get the Panel back... but first of all, I can't find any Win8 drivers for my chipset, and second of all, all Win7 drivers that I try to install in compatibility mode or not error out with the message "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software". Basically I haven't been able to install any new drivers that I find here, and I used both the automaqtic Driver Detection Utility and Driver Upgrade Utility.

Can someone please help me out? I've been dealing with this issue for several days and losing hope. This is the information of my machine:

SYSTEM INFORMATION

Operating System (O/S)Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional Edition (build 9600), 64-bitOperating System Build (O/S)9600Operating System (version)6.3.9600System ManufacturerMSISystem ModelMS-7592System Typex64-based PC

GRAPHICS INFORMATION

NameIntel(R) G41 Express Chipset (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1)Adapter DescriptionIntel(R) G41 Express Chipset (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1)Installed Driversigdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumd32,igd10umd32Driver Version8.15.10.2702INF Fileoem15.inf (iEGL1 section)Adapter TypeIntel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, Intel Corporation compatible

Graphics Product [1]Intel®G41Graphics Driver Version8.15.10.27023D AccelerationYesHardware Transform & Lighting SupportYesVideo Memory1.7 GBVertex Shader Support4.0Pixel Shader Support4.0Microsoft DirectX* Version11.0Graphics Product [2]Intel®G413D AccelerationYesHardware Transform & Lighting SupportYesVideo Memory1.7 GBVertex Shader Support4.0Pixel Shader Support4.0

I will HUGELY appreciate any help.

Regards,

Ronald

EDIT: In case anyone's wondering, I'm certain that both the monitor and the HDMI cable work, since I can use it with my laptop without any problem.

Mensaje editado por: Ronald Rey

0 Kudos
8 Replies
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, RonaldRey:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

I would like you to check this website related: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005526.html Supported Operating Systems for Intel® Graphics Products

There you will find the supported OS for the different graphics from Intel, please check "Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family"

The sidenote there: Windows 8 drivers for the Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family support legacy Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) 1.1 and are included in the Windows 8 installation build. Drivers for these platforms are not available on the Intel website or on Windows Update.

In order to get the drivers, please install all windows updates available for your system.

In order to get a second screen in your system, you could follow the instructions noted here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/how-connect-multiple-monitors Connect a second monitor or projector - Windows Help

If you require any further information or support, do not hesitate to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, RonaldRey:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

I would like you to check this website related: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005526.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005526.html

There you will find the supported OS for the different graphics from Intel, please check "Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family"

The sidenote there: Windows 8 drivers for the Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family support legacy Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) 1.1 and are included in the Windows 8 installation build. Drivers for these platforms are not available on the Intel website or on Windows Update.

In order to get the drivers, please install all windows updates available for your system.

In order to get a second screen in your system, you could follow the instructions noted here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/how-connect-multiple-monitors http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/how-connect-multiple-monitors

If you require any further information or support, do not hesitate to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, RonaldRey:

Thought I would just check in and find out if you were able to resolved this problem with the information provided.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Esteban,

Thank you so much for the follow up.

I made sure that my Windows Update didn't have any pending updates. I suppose then that my display drivers are updated aswell, even if I still can't see the Intel Graphics Panel.

I followed the instructions on the link you provided to no avail. The computer simply doesn't recognize that anything is plugged in to the HDMI port, and nothing shows up automatically or in the Screen Resolution diaglo / Devices tab.

I ended up assuming that either the port is damaged, or that simply this video card does not support dual monitors, since I have nothing else to try.

Regardless, thank you so much for your quick support!

Regards,

Ronald

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, RonaldRey:

Thank you for your answer.

Regarding the support for multiple displays, the Intel® 4 Series Chipset Family does support dual display configurations.

Page 542 of this PDF: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/4-chipset-family-datasheet.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/4-chipset-family-datasheet.html

Just in case, test if you are able to select clone, extended or second display only after pressing the windows key + P.

If the problem persists, chances are that the HDMI port in your system is not working properly, due to the fact the monitor/second display is working with your laptop as mentioned before.

I look forward to your outcome with this.

If any additional questions or inquiries are present, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, RonaldRey:

Thought I would just check in and find out if you were able to resolve this problem.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Esteban,

I'm so sorry for taking so long in replying! I've been busy and wanted to resolve the problem completely before coming back.

Something that I didn't mention in my first post because I thought was irrelevant: both my monitors are VGA-only monitors (no HDMI ports on them), so I was using a VGA-to-HDMI adapter to be able to hook them up to the desktop PC. I didn't think the issue had anything to do with it, since the adapter works well with my laptop under the same set-up, but just to be sure I borrowed a HDMI monitor from a friend and used an actual HDMI cable instead of a VGA cable with VGA-to-HDMI adapter connected to the PC. It worked, the second monitor was recognized immediately, which assured me that the HDMI port on the PC was functioning properly and that my video card drivers were up-to-date.

So that's it... for some reason I can't connect two monitors to my PC using this VGA-to-HDMI adapter, don't know why. I don't have another adapter like that right now to confirm if it's a manufacturer issue or anything else, but I did find a VGA-to-USB adapter lying around in the office which DID work, so I'm keeping the set-up like that for now.

I'm still curious as to why it wasn't working previously, so I'm going to see if I can get another one of those adapters and try again, just to get some closure ! I'll come back if I have any further conclusions.

Thank you some much for your support Esteban, you were very helpful!

Regards,

Ronald

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for answer on this RonaldRey, and no worries about the time taken, going from a digital (HDMI) to analog (VGA) connection between devices is tricky someimes, chances are that the issues in here is the adapter not being able to properly change the signal and for that reason the computer is not recognizing the monitor connected.

It would be good to test it with another adapter, maybe different brand to see if it was that the source of the issue.

I am glad to hear you were able to get the desired set up with the USB adapter and I look forward to your outcome with the tests to be done you mentioned.

If any additional questions or inquiries are present, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos