Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14539 Discussions

why does my intel i5 4690k run slower than my crappy old amd processor?

SJati
Beginner

About a week ago, i purchased an Intel Core i5 4690k and it seems to work crappily, with tiles in youtube videos, and very low framerate in games. Is this because i switched from AMD to Intel? Please help!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What motherboard?

What/how much memory?

What disk?

Did you have an add-on graphics card before?

Are you using an add-on graphics card now?

What are you running?

Have you messed with the bios?

Then The Intel support staff can help.

Doc

0 Kudos
SJati
Beginner

The Motherboard is also new, (and might be the problem, too) and it is the MSI Z97-G45 GAMING motherboard.

The RAM is 8gb]

The Disk is toshiba DT01ACA100 (1TB)

I did have an add-on graphics card before, and do now (nvidia geforce 750 ti)

I am trying to run a variety of games, such as Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, TERA, Dark Souls II, etc

I am running windows 10 on top of all that,

The only thing that I have messed with in the BIOS is the boot option of Legacy and UEFI because it wouldn't start in UEFI mode.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Have you updated the BIOS? Since you have a Haswell refresh processor, many of the motherboards that support this processor required a BIOS update.

I found two entries for your board: https://au.msi.com/search/Z97-G45%20GAMING%20/product/1 MSI Australia

Look for the latest bios for your board at the link above, and update your BIOS using the recommended procedure for updating your board. As always, you should make certain that your data is backed-up.

Doc

0 Kudos
SJati
Beginner

I seem to have encountered yet another problem.

When i try to update my BIOS through the MSI Live Update 6 program, it does not update.

I have tried to update through windows, and had to wait about 30 minutes until realizing that nothing was going to happen.

When I tried to update through the USB, everything seemed to have worked fine, but when i went to check if i still needed to update, it said i still had the previous version.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

You should contact MSI regarding their BIOS update.

OR, if you have access to a processor other than the Haswell refresh processor, I would install that processor and then do the bios update. Then after a successful update, reinstall your i5-4690k.

Doc

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, All:

Al_Hill, thank for your feedback.

Regards,

0 Kudos