Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14399 Discussions

(Processor dead)Switching on my computer but there was no sign of life, no fan spin, no lights and no sound of motherboard speaker.

AMore111
Beginner

Hello,

Some months back i tried switching on my computer but there was no sign of life, no fan spin, no lights and no sound of motherboard speaker. In short it was completely dead.

-I got the whole system diagnosed from a local hardware engineer, he told me there is a problem in the mobo and get it checked from the service centre.

-I did it as he told and took it to the gigabyte service centre, the service centre engineer checked the mobo there on the spot and diagnosed that the processor was at fault.

-I am sure about what he told because the service centre engineer showed me by putting a different processor in my mobo and the whole system worked perfectly, but with my processor nothing worked.

-The processor was in warranty so i applied for it and got it repaired. And then everything worked perfectly and system booted successfully with all components running.

-But recently the same problem has occurred and i m not able to diagnose the real reason for this problem.

-Please someone help me to find the real problem which might be causing this.

I did a check of all electrical sockets for any earthing problem or short circuit but everything is good.

I use a surge protector in between my main electrical socket and the PSU connection.

My specs are as follows:

Processor- i3-4130 3.4GHz

mobo- gigabyte B85M-DS3H

ram- 4gb vengeance 1600 MHz

corsair- 550W PSU.

Thank you,

Aniket More.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Are you overclocking? Are you blocking air intake? Is your cpu fan adequate?

Otherwise, I would replace the power supply.

Doc

0 Kudos
AMore111
Beginner

Hello Al Hill thanks for your reply,

-I am not overclocking it and run time of my CPU is hardly 4-5 hrs, so i think a stock fan would be adequate.

-And yes there is adequate amount of air intake.

Now coming to power supply, its the only component left unchecked till now in a corsair service centre.

-But the PSU which the gigabyte service centre engineer was using behaved in the same way as my PSU did, when he put in my processor in the mobo.

-As you said to replace the power supply, the same suggestion was given by the gigabyte service centre engineer to get it checked at the corsair service centre.

-But i have doubt that my PSU might be at fault because it had worked perfectly after i got my CPU repaired under warranty.

And if my PSU is at fault can u please explain, how it might be damaging my processor and that to after some specific period of time.

One more thing i forgot to mention is that, the failure of CPU occurred on both occasions when my computer was not turned on,

Like i switched it ON in the morning the whole system worked perfectly, i turned it OFF perfectly but when i came home in evening it just didn't start.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

With the AC power removed, I would try pressing in various areas around the cpu socket, memory, and power supply connector.

Then, plug in the AC and try turning the PC on.

Doc

0 Kudos
AMore111
Beginner

I didn't understand how the above suggested method would help me to know if the power supply is causing any problem to my processor.

Please explain me in detail.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

What I am now thinking is that you may have a "cold joint" on the motherboard. By pressing around the areas that I suggested it may cause an open connection to [temporarily] work.

If doing this method produces any results, you would need to replace the motherboard.

This is just a guess. I could be completely off target here.

Personally, if the system was still under warranty, I would have the whole thing replaced.

Doc

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, All:

Al_Hill, thank you very much for your kind reply.

aniketmore, let us know if the suggestion worked for you.

Regards,

0 Kudos