Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID

Intel RST Update Request

AThom16
New Contributor II

Intel RST RAID is unable to pass through SMART commands/data. Can Intel modify RST to allow this?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi OEFVet,

I suggest you to review the summary of SMART events at Index tab in our RST application; it explains possible events and provides with possible solutions.

Regards,

Mike C

0 Kudos
AThom16
New Contributor II

Index Tab. Right.

I need Intel RST to make the SMART data available on the raid volume.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If the RST GUI'S display of S.M.A.R.T. data is insufficient and you want to extract this data for your own software to display, this is possible...

Intel RST internally implements the CSMI protocol. In order to extract S.M.A.R.T. data from the physical drives, you need software that supports the CSMI Pass-Thru protocol. Years ago, I developed an open source SDK (for Intel QST) that included a support library for just this requirement.

This SDK is supposed to still be available for download on the Intel site. If you cannot find it, let me know and I will provide it to you (with sample display software).

...S

P.S. One piece of software that includes the display of S.M.A.R.T. data from RAID arrays is AIDA64.

0 Kudos
AThom16
New Contributor II

Thank you Scott, helpful as always.

I actually did NOT have success with AIDA64; now Im curious how you set that up....

I am looking to pass the SMART data to Samsung Magician. Samsung recently made this open source, but I cannot get the Intel RST to share SMART data.

I have run RAID in the past with mechanical drives; Windows always recognized the drives in device manager. I could update firmware and get the SMART stats for IBM deskstars, Seagate, and WD. This is my first samsung storage device.

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html Tool & Software | Download | Samsung V-NAND SSD

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Alex,

Were you able to download the QST SDK? If not, let me know and I will send the pertinent piece of it to you.

...S

0 Kudos
AThom16
New Contributor II

Sorry for the Delay. Last NUC was replaced and I went with a NON-Raid config on this one; so Samsung Magician and drivers are able to manage the drive. It is an annoying problem; if you could figure out how to let the samsung magician pass through the gates of iRST (if only for firmware and health reasons) it would be helpful to many users.

***Edit: Samsung has made the program open source.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Thanks for the update. I have sent a note to FinalWire to see if they can figure out why AIDA64 is not working with the RST setup. I don't have the hardware to check this myself, but will endeavor to get it at some point...

...S

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello OEFVet,

In regard to your concern just for testing porpuses, could you please try to run the RST without the Samsung Magician and let me know the results.

Regards,

Angie
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello OEFVet,

I would like to know if you were able to have good results with any of the steps that we have provided to you.

Hope I can hear from you soon.

Regards,

Angie
0 Kudos
AThom16
New Contributor II

"could you please try to run the RST without the Samsung Magician and let me know the results."

No, I want the Samsung Magician to manage the Samsung drives, it is a powerful tool to monitor SMART, Status, Life/Health, and keep the drivers+firmware updated. Unfortunately the Samsung Magician cannot see past iRST.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello OEFVet,

Thank you for your reply.

In regard to your concern, at this moment since what you would like to run the Samsung Magician with iRST, I would like to kindly recommend you to contact the manufacturer of the software application.

So then, you will be able to confirm the compatibility with iRST and if this software can complete the task of your request.

http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/support/cs.html Samsung Support

Regards,

Angie
0 Kudos