Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Hotkeys bugs in latest Intel graphics driver for Windows 8 and 8.1

CL3
Novice

I have recently installed the latest Intel Graphics drivers for Windows 8 and 8.1 x64 and I'm experiencing an annoying bug with global hotkeys.

It looks as though the application registers all the hotkeys even if the hotkeys are disabled.

By default the following hotkeys are registered: Ctrl + Alt + Up, Ctrl + Alt + Down, Ctrl + Alt + Left, Ctrl + Alt + Right. These hotkeys aren't available in any other application on the system (global hotkeys) and the option to enable hotkeys in the UI is turned off (disabled).

Changing the hotkeys to something else will release the hotkeys so it looks as though the driver registers the hotkeys no matter what.

A second issue is that there's a problem with hotkey registration. I tried to register the hotkeys to Ctrl + Shift + Alt + Up, Down, Left, Right and the UI accepted the changes but the hotkeys aren't registered, instead the following hotkeys are registered Ctrl + Shift + Up, Down, Left, Right -> this makes selecting words and the like impossible which is very annoying.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3520M CPU @ 2.90 GHz

Processor graphics: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

Driver version: 10.18.10.3496

Video BIOS: 2158.12

23 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for joining the community.

I understand you are reporting an issue with the latest video driver 3496.

I have tried to replicate this matter but I did not get your results. I was able to work with latest drivers and I managed to change hot key configuration successfully.

At this stage, you may want to check for customized drivers from your computer manufacturer or test the following beta driver 10.18.10.3574:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23858 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23858

Allan.

0 Kudos
CL3
Novice

Hi Allan,

I may have misunderstood your reply but my problem isn't setting and changing hotkey bindings.

It's the fact that the configured hotkey bindings are "enabled", i.e. can't be used for anything else by other programs even if the checkbox to enable hotkeys is turned off.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for coming back to the community.

I am afraid you are correct; hotkeys cannot be used for other programs when you install the graphics driver because it takes over this configuration.

You may need to check with your computer manufacturer for customized drivers for your computer model.

Allan.

0 Kudos
CL3
Novice

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the reply.

Would it be possible to make the driver only register the hotkeys if the checkbox to use hotkeys is enabled - and if unchecked, no registration is performed ?

Unfortunately Dell has very old drivers, that's why I switched to the Intel ones

For now I've just re-configured the hotkeys to something I don't plan to use so useful hotkeys aren't blocked by the driver.

Not sure if you've also noticed the problem with Ctrl + Shift + Alt hotkeys - the help text says they don't work, but you can enter them anyway ... and indeed they don't work, instead Ctrl + Shift is used.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I thank you for the feedback, I am sure this will be a nice feature to be added on future driver releases.

Allan.

0 Kudos
MEns
Beginner

Please make sure this gets fixed. It's been months and we still have the issue -- and doing this right isn't a feature, it's fixing a bug (the bug being that you call RegisterHotKey even when you don't need the hotkey, and then never call UnregisterHotKey).

This driver rendered my laptop unusable until I figured out what was doing it and killed that process.

0 Kudos
MWigl
Beginner

I don't think this should be solved by customized drivers from manufacturer…

In fact, I do have driver from manufacturer - pre-installed by Lenovo - and it has this annoying bug.

0 Kudos
SOWMYA_N_Intel
Employee

Hi,

We are working on the Hotkeys issues, checking all the possible ways on how we can release the default hotkeys upon request.

Will post back once the fix is ready.

Thanks,

Sowmya

0 Kudos
VLab
Beginner

This is definitely a bug with the new driver builds. This behavior does not occur in the older driver builds.

I also reported it in

The best workaround is to not let the igfxHK.exe process run. Permanently disable it using.http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902 Autoruns for Windows

0 Kudos
BBern2
Beginner

Having the same problem, killing the "igfxHK Module" process works, however, I can't find how to disable its startup in Autoruns. Any hints? Thanks.

0 Kudos
GLeyn
Beginner

This is a pretty decent fix:

I did the following:

1. I enabled the hotkeys by pressing the right click button anywhere on the desktop and going into Intel's "graphics properties" menu
  2. I set the hotkeys to be Control-Alt-Arrow rather than Control-Shift-Arrow (so that it would be something somewhat memorable in case I somehow needed to use them in the future)
  3. I disabled the hotkeys
  4. I happily went back to using Control-Shift-Arrow keys in other applications

For the record, I believe this is a bug in the Intel driver, I wish they'd fix it.

0 Kudos
CKim7
Beginner

I am also waiting for the fix

0 Kudos
CV3
Beginner

I'm also waiting for a fix. Also the "Restore Graphics Defaults" option cannot be changed at all! Please fix!

0 Kudos
GYang16
Beginner

This bug is blocking me from using my favourite shortcut "ctrl+alt+arrow" in IntelliJ idea!!

I updated this driver from Intel Driver Utility 2.0, so that this HD 4400 can drive 4k well, and it does drive 4k well enough, but it intercept my "ctrl+alt+arrow" !!

This is humiliating to Intel, we are all developers, this is such a unexpected mistake ! Fix it ASAP! Now!

0 Kudos
DSpin
Beginner

I confirm this is a nasty bug! Intel HD Graphic Control Panel Hotkeys even disabled are blocking other applications from using assigned (but disabled) hotkeys eg. CTRL+ALT+LEFT et..

BTW Intel you had a great control panel for graphics and recently changed for this crappy new version which looks awful and is bugged? Pseudo metro apps looks ugly! Why you ruined your app? What a shame..

Please at least fix this annoying bug before I throw away my new Lenovo S210 Touch..

0 Kudos
RKras
Novice

I found a very simple workaround to this problem. I just made the "Intel(R) HD Graphics Control Panel Service" service not automatic but manual and rebooted my computer. After the reboot neither igfxHK.exe nor any other Intel process is running. I really don't need any of them and not going to enable them back after this bug will be fixed. Ctrl+Alt+Left/Right in IntelliJ IDEA works properly now.

My system: Dell Latitude E7440 laptop with Windows 7 and 15.36.7.64.3960 version of Intel HD graphics driver.

DSpin
Beginner

Yes I did the same few days ago, but it dosn't change the fact that this crappy Panel looks ugly and it is bugged.

0 Kudos
RKras
Novice

Why to use this Control Panel in the first place? The standard Windows functionality is enough.

0 Kudos
FOtto1
Beginner

Rostislavs workaround did the job under Windows 8.1 using Intel Graphics Driver 10.18.10.3993. But of course this should be fixed. An inactive short cut should not block other applications.

0 Kudos