Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

SOL/IDE-R what do I need for it to work?

idata
Employee

I have 88+ Dell Optiplex 780's all with vPro enabled. How do I use the ide redirect if I want a pc to boot to my cd or a image file? I'm using the Manageability Developers tool kit to manage my pc's. I scanned all the machines into the Commander Tool and go to control a pc. On the Remote Control tab I choose the Remote reboot to redirect CD but my pc just sits there waiting...and nothing happens. On the Disk Redirect tab I see Redirect Active but when I choose to enable it I get the message "Both a valid floppy and CDROM drive or image file must be specified before IDE Redirect can be enabled". Why a floppy? If I'm reinstalling Win XP I don't need a floppy. So, what am I missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Shane,

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TIMOTHY_D_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I've attached a video demonstration that used SOL/IDER to repair a system with a corrupt file. I added some notes I hope will help. The big thing is that SOL, IDER & the redirection port be enabled in the Intel(R) AMT Setup / Intel(R) ME and they also be enabled on the "Take Control" tab in Manageability Commander. I am a little concerned about the size of your remote image. Have you tried with a small test image yet? The video refrences the one I used.

Let me know how it's going?

Thanks...td

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Why the concern over the size of my image file? That video showed everything that I was doing right except the virtual floppy part. I will try the renaming of a text file and test it out.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Why the concern of my image file? That video showed everything that I was doing right, except the virtual floppy. I will try to rename a text file like you suggested and let you know how that goes.

0 Kudos
TIMOTHY_D_Intel
Employee

I was confused and worried that it might have been a network saturation issue. How's it going?

0 Kudos
TIMOTHY_D_Intel
Employee

The "why a valid floppy" image is one I haven't had answered, but all I do is rename a text file with the .img extension since i'm never going to use it. I don't know why it is required, but for this tool at least, it is required.

0 Kudos