Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14513 Discussions

system not registering all ram modules

idata
Employee

Recently built my new system (Aus P6X58D-E, i7 980X) and on boot noticed that only picked up two of the three ram modules, did the usual checks of swapping them around and found that it was a particular slot (B1) that appeared not to be working. I then stripped it all down to send back to my supplier and noticed a bent pin (AR11) in the cpu socket, warrenty now void :-( ... I have since straightened the offening pin and rebuilt the system but still no joy with the memory. And my question is:-

Is there a way of verifying that when a cpu is inserted into its socket that all the pins in the socket are in contact with the cpu and would this prevent the system for detecting the memory

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello;

The problem that you are experiencing is not related with the processor, if the system is properly posting and you are getting video display this means that the desktop board is detecting the processor. Also remember that using the processor on a damaged system will void the warranty.

What you can do is to contact the motherboard manufacturer for assistance

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You know, i had this same issue, but guess what the issue was?, my finger touch the contact a little bit, i could not beleive that caused the issue.

But make sure your contacts are correct, and the contacts are clean and free of dust or gunk.

0 Kudos