Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20634 Discussions

Frequent System Freezes Windows Logs ID Possible Hardware Problem

idata
Employee

I have a Gateway FX530XT desktop running Vista 32 bit with a Intel 975X Express Chipset, 82975X memory controller, Intel 82801GH I/O controller hub (ICH7DH) running in RAID 5 mode (3 x 500 Gb drives).

I have been experiencing frequent system freezes that last from a few seconds to a minute or two. Approximately once a day the system freezes and must be restarted by powering down the system. I've been trying to glean information from Vista Event Viewer to identify the cause. Windows logs show multiple failures to write various files and ends with "This problem is likely due to faulty hardware." Another message is "The Intel DH Service service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

After restarting the computer, I checked the Matrix Storage Manager and see that the system is verifying and restoring (but no errors have been detected yet--76% done.)

I lost several members of the array within the last year and the RAID array was successfully rebuilt without loss of any data.

If there is a hardware problem, the computer is still under warrantee, and I want to pursue a claim. However, Gateway has been extremely difficult to deal with on past issues, and I want to be sure that I have done everything I can to research the problem and diagnose the problem before I call and am punished by Gateway before they agree to help.

I would appreciate any help members of the community can provide. I am self employed as a consultant and these freeze ups and lockups are killing me.

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
0 Replies