Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Unable to rotate screen with G45/G43 on Windows 7 SP1 Acer Aspire

idata
Employee

Hello all, I appreciate any help with this issue:

I'm unable to rotate the screen from landscape to portrait. I have downloaded the current drivers for both the G45/G43 chipset and the monitor. When I right-click on the desktop and select Graphic Properties/General Settings/Rotation/Rotate to 90 degrees/Apply, the screen goes black for a second, then reappears in landscape mode still, with the caption "The new settings have been applied. Do you want to keep these settings?" However, nothing changes, and the Rotation command reverts to "Rotate to Normal"

If I try to make the change through Control Panel/Appearance and Personalization/Display/Screen Resolution , the following appears, i.e. there is no option for portrait orientation.

Tech support at Acer suggests resetting the one-week old computer to factory settings, but I would like to think there is another way to fix this issue. Please help!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Update: I did restore the computer to factory default today. The problem still persists, both with stock and updated graphics and monitor drivers. Could it be that the manufacturer (Acer) simply does not support screen rotation in this computer? I find that hard to believe, but I am completely stumped. Might the graphics card be the problem? The computer is used for work, and the screen rotation feature is necessary. I am considering returning this machine and getting a different brand. Any insight would be much appreciated!

0 Kudos
SCold
Beginner

I recently purchased an acer netbook with windows 7 starter. The driver was updated to the same driver as a Toshiba laptop I have at work. Both computers have the same operating system. The rotate function is visible on the Toshiba but not the ACER. Funny thing is when you type in rotate in the search bar at the start menu a function for "screen orientation" comes up, when you click it you are taken to the display settings in control panel where the screen orientation should be BUT IT IS NOT THERE. Leads me to believe that the Acer people have disabled this function in the bios or my motherboard does not support Portrait mode. Anyone with a solution out there.

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

In fact, the rotation feature can be disabled if this is done by the motherboard or Original Equipment Manufacturer, this is done at Video BIOS level, so it may not be overridden by a driver update.

More information on this is available on the following URL:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-016829.htm Graphics | Using Screen Rotation With The Intel(R) Graphics Control Panel

0 Kudos
SCold
Beginner

Diego can you please help me fix this issue. What is the patch or how do I repair the video bios. I cannot see screen orientation anywhere on my acer netbook.

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

These options depend completely on what the Original Equipment Manufacturer or computer manufacturer has enabled. So they are the only ones that may enable this feature. You could try updaing the system BIOS and see if the option becomes available. Furthermore, please check with your Original Equipment Manufacturer for further information on this

http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/ Acer Worldwide - Select your local country or region

0 Kudos