Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

is there an Intel proset API/SDK ?

idata
Employee

Hi,

I am a software engineer for a security company and I've been tasked with creating a wiFi manager that will work with the intel proset family of WiFi connection managers or at least majority of the new versions. Specifically a group policy will be pushed down by an admin to only allow connection to a specific lists of SSIDs. The software I am working on will enforce this on each client machine and disconnects any SSIDs that the user connects to that is not in the allowed list. Currently I have this working on the windows default WLAN autoconfig/WZC but if the machine has the Intel Proset connection manager running then my software cannot do its enforcement.

Question:

- is there an SDK/Api/command line/registry key to allow our software to work with the Intel Proset connection manager. e.g. allow our software to tell the Intel Proset to disconnect the currect connection ?

thank you

van
0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Basically the problem is my software disconnects a connected SSID via windows WLAN api but the intel proset software reconnects the ssid and then my software disconnect and intel proset connects etc into an infinite loop. I just need some help in making the intel proset software play nicely with my software. All i need is for a way to help my software tell the intel proset manager to say "its okay to disconnect that ssid and wait for the user to make another connection"

0 Kudos
RKell3
New Contributor I

Van,

Just some thoughts...

Can't you remove the Intel ProSet wireles and let Windows Manage the connection?

http://en.community.dell.com/wikis/networking_internet_wireless/how-to-start-wireless-zero-configuration-using-windows-vista.aspx How to start Wireless Zero Configuration using Vista/Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968682 How can I disable wireless configuration services and enable the Windows XP Wireless Zero Configuration services

As long as the drivers for the wireless adpater are there, the software should be needed.

Then restrict them from installing the Intel ProSet Wireless on the machines.

I am a limited user at work and their group policy allow me to do certain things. It is their machine and if something goes wrong with it, I lose nothing. The company has all my files and folders in a network folder, that is backed up daily.

Rick

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks PudgyOne: unfortunately disabling the intel ProSet wireless manager is not an option I already suggested that but its been denied. The reason being that the default windows zero config/WLAN autoconfig was deemed to have security problems by the higher ups and the intel proSet wireless manager is the WiFi connection manager of choice.

0 Kudos
RKell3
New Contributor I

Van,

Go to programs and features.

Click on Intel ProSet, then click change. When the option comes up, click on the little arrow next to administrator toolkit. Install that and see if there are settings there that you can control.

Rick

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ok I currently am using XP but I was able to install the admin toolkit, I also installed the WMI stuff. How do I get access to this admin toolkit ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

ok I see what the admin tool can do. It allows the admin to create a list of wireless profiles and application and hardware settings for the Intel ProSet connectivity manager. Its a cool feature and that gives some clue that there might be an API to allow my software to communicate with the Intel Proset software. The software I am working on is suppose to work not only with intel proset but with other wireless connection managers so an SDK/API/CLI or some kind of access is what I really need. At the very least I need to control what get connected/disconnected. I need to control auto re-connection to an ssid and the ability to create a wireless profile.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I found this Intel® Active Management Technology Software Development Kit, Is this going to be helpful with my problem ? Seems like its geared for a certain machine ?

0 Kudos