Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14517 Discussions

larggest supported HDD size for P4 3.20GHz?

idata
Employee

Hi ! I need some help. I have an older desktop setup that still runs great, but I'd like to add a new internal HDD. I have an open SATA port on my MB, so I went to my local PC shop & was told that my processor would limit adding a second internal HDD over 160GB. They said that anything over that would require a new processor (and hence a new motherboard, etc). Sounded like the guy was just trying to make a sale on my upgrading, so thought I would ask here first.

Here is my setup:

P3 3.20GHz 800MHz 512KB cache

3 GB RAM

MB= Asus P4P800-E Deluxe (ATX/Socket478/865PE)

ATI all-in-wonder RADEON 9800Pro

160GB 7200rpm HDD

running Windows 7 Pro

Like I said, the system works great for what I use it for, so not looking to upgrade anything. I have 2 TB on an external HDD (usb), but don't like to leave that running 24-7, as its for backup only. The MC has an open SATA slot & the case has an open drive bay, so I'm looking to add a second internal HDD (up to 1.5 TB if I can). Being slightly suspicious of the story from the local PC shop, but not PC-keen enough to know for myself, I'd just like to know what maximum size secondary internal HDD I can use with my setup.

Thanks for the help !!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi the CPU will definitely NOT limit the size of the HDD.

The chipset of your motherboard could limit it.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi the CPU will definitely NOT limit the size of the HDD.

The chipset of your motherboard could limit it.

idata
Employee

Thanks for the reply. Good to know the processor doesnt limit the HDD size, but I guess now I need to run over to the Asus site to check on the MB chipset !

Thanks again !

0 Kudos