Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

Intel 4965AGN weird disconnections

idata
Employee

Hello.

I'm using my Intel 4965AGN wireless card on a Windows 7 Professional x64 system. The version of the drivers (as reported by the Device Manager) is 13.3.0.137. The card is connected to a 802.11n wireless network, operating in a 20MHz channel in the 2.4GHz band, run by a TP-Link TL-WR1043N router.

I'm experiencing very strange disconnections happenning at random points of time. The operating system reports that I'm still connected to the network, though, but I'm not able to ping any computer on the network or the router, let alone anything on the Internet. Disconnecting and reconnecting to the network doesn't seem to work at all. The only thing that helps is a reboot - after this, everything is back to normal operation again.

There are very mysterious entries in the Windows System Event Log that seem to correlate with the disconnections. Their source is NETwLv64 (which I believe is the 4965 driver file) and the event ID is either 5005 (only a few) or 5002 (a bunch). Unfortunately, the only text related to these is :

The description for Event ID {5002 or 5005} from source NETwLv64 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\NDMP16

Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

Any help would be greatly appreciated, even saying what these mean would be great, since I'd have a chance to maybe work out the problem. I've googled these event IDs, but sadly, only unanswered questions come up.

Thank you in advance,

D.K.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

I too experienced a similar problem, same hardware running on a Dell M4300 with the latest 13.3 drivers. Connecting to a Cisco 4410 WAP. My wifi adaptor would stop working for no apparent reason. The even log would have 30 errors all being reported by the wifi driver NETwLv64. Event ID 5005.

Now this had never occurred under Windows Vista SP2. It ran smooth with no errors or problems. But when I rebuilt the machine with Windows 7 (Vista R2) It had all kinds of problems keeping the wifi adaptor running. The only way to get the adaptor back online would be to disable the adaptor, disconnect it with the manual switch on the PC and then stop the WLAN Autoconfig service, then turn it all back on in reverse sequence.

So I decided to do a fresh build of Windows 7, just in case the last one had some problems or conflicts. So I built it slowly and tested it all the way. Right out of the gates it started to have problems. Default Windows 7 build, with just Office 2010. All the latest drivers supported by Dell. So I tried going beyond that with all the latest drivers from the different chip makers and hardware manufacturers. Still no luck, still crashed.

Now seeing as that is just not acceptable, since it would do this almost every 45 min, I started to think what else had I changed. Then it struck me, I had recently changed the encryption on the AP's from WPA2 Enterprise Mixed (TKIP) to WPA2 Enterprise (AES).

When I changed the settings back on the AP to mixed mode and set the profile in Windows to use only TKIP and not AES. The driver stopped crashing and the wifi would stay connected with no errors or issues.

So it would seem that the drivers in Windows 7 do not work with WPA2 Enterprise and AES.

Is this a known bug or something that needs further research.

Regards,

Jim

idata
Employee

Make sure you have the correct drivers for the Window 7 64bit version. From which website did you download the drivers from, the Dell version or the Intel version?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

For me they are the latest drivers for Windows x64 from Intels site. Also have tried with the ones from Dell same issue. All corrected by switching to TKIP.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sounds like we are having a issue with WPA2/AES only then, something Intel needs to investigate. Our current configuration we use here is WPA2/AES and our company just bought almost 100 Dell 2110 netbook that have this wireless card. Does not look good. :-(

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I too am experiencing the same disconnections under win7 64bit with the latest drivers under WPA2/AES under 802.11n only. Works fine under 802.11G. All worked fine under vista 32bit with the 13.2 drivers. I don't recall if I updated the drivers under vista x86 to the latest 13.3. Now that I upgraded the laptop to Win7 64bit it won't stay connected to 802.11n 5ghz WPA2/AES. It is my understanding that a 300mb connection isn't supposed to be possible under tkip per intel support documents.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I also got the random wireless disconnects only repairable by rebooting (first post)

Typically I had the deconnect when downloading bigger files, but not only.

Hardware: Asus V1Sn (Intel 4965agn) and Fritz Box 7240 (Router). Using 802.11n / WPA2-PSK/AES (Router names it WPA2-CCMP) mode.

It occured on Vista 32 and also on Win7 64 using the intel 13.4.0 drivers from intel page.

I now hopefully SOLVED the problem by deinstalling the intel driver and going back to standard Win 7 driver for the card.

Cheers,

InformationsMinisterium

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Der Gast schrieb::

I also got the random wireless disconnects only repairable by rebooting (first post)

Typically I had the deconnect when downloading bigger files, but not only.

http://www.starbike.com/index.php?cat=parts&lang=de Hardware: Asus V1Sn (Intel 4965agn) and Fritz Box 7240 (Router). Using 802.11n / WPA2-PSK/AES (Router names it WPA2-CCMP) mode.

It occured on Vista 32 and also on Win7 64 using the intel 13.4.0 drivers from intel page.

I now hopefully SOLVED the problem by deinstalling the intel driver and going back to standard Win 7 driver for the card.

Cheers,

InformationsMinisterium

A few months ago, I had the same problem with my LAN connections and the reinstalling of the standard drivers solved the fails. Maybe you should try this too !(@topic starter)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Event ID 5002 (many) followed by 5005. Tried updating driver. Newer ones would hang the adapter causing re-boot to reset it; older ones would recover, but still 5002's and 5005 in the log. Only happened when streaming (like watching a ball game, etc.). Bought a Mini USB-connected wireless N adapter for $10 and the problem(s) went away - must be in the adapter or driver(s), I thought! Continued searching for answer (techies do this by nature). 'net searches on OEM sites and general showed MANY folks having same/similar problem with Intel wireless adapters. Decided to try enabling/disabling stuff in my router. Noticed an option for WMM. Researched it on the 'net. Seemed to only apply to streaming, and other bandwidth-hogging xmissions. Was advised that WMM is sometimes called Ad Hoc Qos Mode. Disabled it in the router Was called WMM there). Found Ad Hoc Qos Mode option under the Advanced Tab in the Configuration Option for my 4695AGN adapter. Changed it to WMM disabled! Re-booted and did some streaming every day for 3 days. No more symptoms!

Changed everything back! Within 15 minutes had an adapter hang while streaming! My driver is ver. 13.4.0.139, which is current distribution for W7 64-bit.

I am soooooo happy! Hope this will help you not to go through a month of maddening trials, or throwing out a perfectly good adapter! I still think the driver is not handling something properly, because the older ones (12.0... and below) keep working without hanging, although you still get a boatload of 5002,5's every 1 - 60 minutes in your System event log!

P.S. I am NOT saying this is your problem; but it sure fixed mine!

0 Kudos
FKlei3
Beginner

I know all of these posts are quite old, but it is still relevant to me, as I have been having similar issues.

A lot of people have reported that disabling the N mode of the 4965AGN solves the random hangs. It also slows it to "G" speed, unfortunately.

I think some of the other fixes proposed here work by doing the same. According to the 802.11n standard, N mode is only allowed on WPA2/AES connections, so if you use TKIP, it would then be dropping out of N. The same is true if you disable WMM; WMM is required by the standard for an N connection. In either case, you're just using an indirect way to disable N, I think. TKIP is not secure; please do not use it.

I find it interesting that this has been a reported issue (evidenced by this thread) since 2010, yet Intel has not released a fully usable driver for Windows 7 x64 (which was current when this card was EOL'd, unlike 8 or 10) for this card. I don't know if Win 7 x86 is any better, as I am not using it.

The latest driver that recognizes the 4965AGN is from October 7, 2010; version 13.4.0.139. Six days after the original post in this thread was entered, Intel released the last driver there would ever be for this card, with this issue still present. The driver that comes with Windows 7 x64 is older than that, v12.something, and it is worse-- it BSODs all the time on both of my fairly dissimilar PCs (one Core 2 Duo laptop, one Sandy Bridge desktop with the laptop card in a PCIE Mini to PCIE adapter).

I know there have been a lot of generations of the Intel wireless cards since the 4965AGN, but older N cards are not technically obsolete-- they're only obsolete because Intel decided to abandon them and their users. Plenty of people still use wireless-N today, and in fact Intel offers an N version of the 7260. And since Intel does not support upgrading to other Intel cards... how about releasing a driver for the 4965AGN for 7/8/10 (x86 and x64) that actually works correctly, Intel? Please? Just one good build would work (assuming it is a driver issue, of course).

0 Kudos
CSant13
Beginner

In case it can be of any assistance, I share what I did to manage to get a WiFi Link 4965AGN stable in Win8.1.

I downloaded the latest drivers from both HP (in my case) and Intel, then combined the latest versions of components:

BTHS.msi -> Package ID WWHBW0136

IntelHS.cab -> MS HotFix KB2685811

NETwLc64.dll -> 13.3.0.7

NETwLr64.dll -> 13.3.0.7

NETwLv64.cat -> Security Catalog

NETwLv64.INF -> 13.4.0.139

NETwLv64.sys -> 13.4.0.139

NETwLx64.cat -> Security Catalog

NETwLx64.INF -> 13.4.0.139

NETwLx64.sys -> 13.4.0.139

* Please note that in Win7 or newer it's better to let the OS handle WiFi-related tasks, so open device manager and simply choose "Update Drivers" without running any installer.

This is the link to the file package mentioned: https://app.box.com/s/hyi0ed1jgsxicih49vloxtalshjpfic5 WiFi.7z - Box

On the "Advanced" tab, in "Device Properties", these are the settings (different adapters include different properties):

802.11n Channel Width for Band 5.2 -> 20 MHz Only

802.11n Mode -> Enabled

Ad Hoc Channel 802.11b/g -> 11

Ad Hoc QoS Mode -> WMM Disabled

Fat Channel Intolerant -> Disabled

Mixed Mode Protection -> CTS-to-self Enabled

Roaming Aggressiveness -> 1. Lowest

Transmit Power -> 5. Highest

Wireless Mode -> 6. 802.11a/b/g

So far, the adapter maintains connection and performance is excellent.

Get the other corresponding drivers from the respective manufacturers and try them similarly.

Cheers!

0 Kudos