Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14540 Discussions

Intel Core i7 5930K Haswell-E max memory help

AGrac2
Beginner

Hi all,

I'm looking to make a new build. I've got my eye on the new Intel Core i7 5930K Haswell-E CPU, to go with the Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME Intel X99 Socket 2011-3 Motherboard. I planned to get Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR4 2800 MHz but decided to save a few quid and go for Corsair Vengeance LPX Red 16GB DDR4 2666 MHz as the performance difference doesn't justify the price difference.

My question is that this CPU and motherboard is designed to support DDR4, but the specification for the CPU states "Max. Memory Speed: DDR4 - 2133 MHz". The lowest clock speed for DDR4 that I've managed to find was for some Crucial Value DDR4 sticks, all other DDR4 RAM is well over the maximum memory speed of this CPU.

Does this mean this CPU is not going to be compatible for me?

I currently have an Intel 3770k and Corsair Vengeance 2133 MHz DDR3. I had to restrict it to 1600 MHz as that was the max memory speed for the Intel 3770k and it was just BSoD'ing all the time until I did this.

Is it likely the same thing would happen with the new build?

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

The DDR4 memory supported by this Intel® processor should use 1.2 volts and up to 2133MHz.

As usual, most memory manufacturers advertise their products with the maximum speed supported. However, the memory may support other lower speeds by using XMP or SPD. As a matter of fact, we can take a look to the technical specifications of the two memory products you provided above and we can see that the speed programmed by SPD is 2133 MHz and 1.2 volts for both of them.

Perhaps you just need to check the compatibility with the motherboard but otherwise... have fun with your build!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

The DDR4 memory supported by this Intel® processor should use 1.2 volts and up to 2133MHz.

As usual, most memory manufacturers advertise their products with the maximum speed supported. However, the memory may support other lower speeds by using XMP or SPD. As a matter of fact, we can take a look to the technical specifications of the two memory products you provided above and we can see that the speed programmed by SPD is 2133 MHz and 1.2 volts for both of them.

Perhaps you just need to check the compatibility with the motherboard but otherwise... have fun with your build!