cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 520 and BSOD?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hey guys (=

I've been getting the BSOD (0x0F4) and then the SSD boot drive couldn't be detected while doing the following:

1) Playing Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO) w/ Hi-Res Texture Pack. I'm also getting the same BSOD even if the game has been closed and using the computer after some time. There's no step-by-step guide to reproduce the BSOD other than letting the game run. The BSOD can happen in a few minutes or in a few hours. Sometimes, the enemy would be named like: "" and a little later the BSOD would appear.

If I restart Windows after playing LOTRO, I would not encounter the BSOD.

Also got a BSOD when ESET AntiVirus 5 was doing a full computer scan while LOTRO was running. It happened after it has completed scanning the SSD and was trying to start scanning the mechanical drive?

2) Copying folders (10GB+) from/to the SSD. However, getting the BSOD in this case is erratic.

3) Playing Far Cry 3 although it only happened after completing the main mission and I decided to do some of the side missions. After getting it twice on different areas, I decided to uninstall the game.

When I get the BSOD and do a warm boot, the system couldn't find the SSD boot drive. Doing a cold boot solves the missing SSD problem. However, sometimes when I immediately do a cold boot the system could remain unstable like if I do a check disk on the SSD, it may or may not complete properly or it could give me an error at the end stating check disk couldn't toggle the run-once setting. Turning the system off for several minutes solves this.

What I've tried:

* Using different driver versions for the Intel Chipset, Intel Rapid Storage Technology (also tried w/o IRST from a fresh Windows install), ASUS Xonar and Nvidia Card.

* Downgraded to a different BIOS version (I had 1805 but now back to 1708)

* Quick reformatted the SSD and reinstalled Windows. Haven't tried secure erasing the SSD.

* Plugging the SSD and HD into different ports and even replaced the SATA cable for the SSD.

* Setting the Windows Power Options to High Performance

* With IRST installed, I applied the LPM fix - but I'm not sure if it's working properly, "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor" doesn't exist in my registry but I have iaStorA, iaStorF and iaStorV

There was a mention of specifically setting the SSD drive as SSD type in the BIOS (affecting ASRock m/b) However, I couldn't find a similar setting.

There was also a mention of setting the S3 -> S1? Power Management in the BIOS but again, I couldn't find the setting.

I'm not getting a BSOD while playing CivV, Skyrim, a few other games I've played or any other applications I'm using.

My computer can wake itself properly from a sleep state. Although, I just noticed this by chance because I usually don't let my computer enter the 'sleep' state.

System Specs:

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 with all the updates as of this posting

Instead of C:\Users, the Users folder is pointed to the mechanical drive

System RAM: 16331 MB

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77M Pro (BIOS Version: 1708)

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 (2047 MB)

SSD: Intel 520 240GB (Firmware Version: 400i)

HD: Western Digital Black 1TB

Sound Card: ASUS Xonar STX

ACHI set in BIOS

Built-in sound card disabled

Intel Virtualization Technlogy enabled

Anyone else have an idea on what I can do (apart from replacing the SSD? ^_^)

2 REPLIES 2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello, you can try to perform a full diagnostic at the Solid State Drive using the Intel(R) toolbox you can download the toolbox from the following link:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18455 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18455

if you get an error when you perform the toolbox please contact the Intel(R) technical support for further assistance at the following phone number 916 377 7000 option 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks MBV2000 (=

I did a full diagnostic scan and I'm getting a BSOD at >20% Then I configured windows to do a diagnostic startup via msconfig and I'm still getting a BSOD at around the same % (The toolbox displayed a red text but didn't get a good look at it before the BSOD)

Unfortunately, I live in the Philippines so can't call the number you posted but I went through the local site and emailed support there.