Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14395 Discussions

replace cpu

idata
Employee

Suppose that the cpu is not soldered to the motherboard, and the bios is compatible, will I be able to swap my current i7-2630qm for a faster i7-3740qm? The socket is FCPGA988 for both of them .

thanks beforehand!

Skwirrel

0 Kudos
1 Solution
FGonz6
New Contributor III

Hello Skwirrel,

The Processor compatibility will depend on the motherboard. For this reason, we would suggest you contacting the laptop manufacturer so they can confirm that the upgrade processor will work in your system.

Please bear in mind that what limits the compatibility is the computer itself (motherboard and bios) not the processor. The motherboard requires to have the proper micro code to manage the processor, if not, the system will not work, and it is the computer manufacturer or Original Equipment Manufacturer who develops the BIOS to include the microcode for the processor

Regards,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
FGonz6
New Contributor III

Hello Skwirrel,

The Processor compatibility will depend on the motherboard. For this reason, we would suggest you contacting the laptop manufacturer so they can confirm that the upgrade processor will work in your system.

Please bear in mind that what limits the compatibility is the computer itself (motherboard and bios) not the processor. The motherboard requires to have the proper micro code to manage the processor, if not, the system will not work, and it is the computer manufacturer or Original Equipment Manufacturer who develops the BIOS to include the microcode for the processor

Regards,

0 Kudos