cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can RamCache ,SSD and ISRT work together ?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi

Firstly not an expert by any means!

Asus x79 Deluxe Mobo

3930k cpu

G Skill 32gb ram

250gb SSD

Sapphire Vapour- X Ghz HD 7970 6gb

Can anyone advise.Is it possible/advisable or even necessary to use Intels ISRT Technology to manage a Ramcache 16GB married to my SSD.

I intend to put my Windows 7 os onto the ssd along with various other programmes , Archicad being one of them.

Firstly is it possible.I guess I would have to set Raid in the bios prior to proceeding with the installation? Then load windows os and ISRT drivers.Make a Ramcache using RAMDISK or similar.And then open the ISRT configurator and select the two drives to "merge"

As I understand it ,ISRT would then reload/manage the most often used programmes onto the cache when booting up windows?

One drive would be seen ?

Any advantages? Will it work?

2 REPLIES 2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello, please note that the Solid State Drive should give you a very good performance overall if you use a SATA III port and a family of Solid State Drives that support that data transfer speed, and the ISRT technology is recommended when you have a regular hard disk drive and you want to get a better performance using the Solid State Drive as a cache acceleration option, but the Solid State Drive already have a great performance by itself.

KenF_Intel
Contributor

Hi Sion-1,

I'm not sure that it's possible to use a RAMdisk and a real disk in a RAID array. You wouldn't want to do that since the data stored in the RAMdisk would disappear anytime you turned off your computer and then the RAID would have to rebuild on the next boot. That would take a lot of time.

In the scenario you describe, there is no mechanism to store the most commonly used files on the RAMdisk. That is not what RST does. It simply manages the RAID and RAID has no knowledge of what programs are most commonly used.

I think what you really want is a program like SuperCache. It does the work of tracking what programs and files are used most frequently and keeps them in a RAM cache (different than a RAM disk).