Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7351 Discussions

Ongoing Centrino N2230 connection at boot up issues

idata
Employee

Well I have a brand new HP DV7 and I thought I had this WPA2 problem whipped but I don't. When I start the computer is does not connect automatically and I have to do it manually 2 times out of 10 start ups. Some days are better than others. Sometimes normal start ups are fine and it will only do it when I select restart on the computer instead of shut down.

I did figure out the last Router had to be set a certain way to connect to this machine and it was odd because any other laptop connects fine here and always have.

Now, I bought a new Linksys E1200 router the other day and this machine with the N2230 just does not like WPA2 but the other machines are fine. Once this connects it never drops but I am weary of having to connect manually at times.

I am wondering if another adapter might work in place of the N2230 ? My HP manual does not even list the 2230 for this machine.

I have done every adjustment I can think of plus I have the 15.6.0.19 driver.

If I have to get another N2230 what exactly would be the part number I need?

I need to do something to fix this.

Thanks

0 Kudos
38 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hello! You may want to verify your router has the latest firmware and is set up to WPA2 AES encryption only, not TKIP+AES. The same settings will apply for the wireless profile in your computer.

The latest driver for your wireless adapter is 15.6.1 available here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+Centrino%C2%AE+Wi-Fi+Products&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Centrino%C2%AE+Wireless-N+2230&ProdId=3507&LineId=1784&FamilyId=1783 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+Centrino%C2%AE+Wi-Fi+Products&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Centrino%C2%AE+Wireless-N+2230&ProdId=3507&LineId=1784&FamilyId=1783

Regarding the replacement of the Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 adapter; note that this adapter is meant to be professionally installed by Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) technicians on certified systems only.

Please note that these adapters are not meant to be sold separately, your system must be compliant with the required FCC certifications in compliance with the International Special Committee for Radio Interference standards for radiated and conducted electromagnetic interference.

In this case what we recommend and encourage you to first contact the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) to determine if the product is approved for use in your computer.

If the issue persists please indicate if you are trying to connect with Intel® Proset or with Windows and if there is an error message.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the reply Joe.

I have the WPA2 Personal AES in the laptop and same WPA2 in the router except I cannot find anything in the Linksys E1200 that says if it is WPA2 Personal AES or TKIP+AES. It connects most of the time these days and if it doesn't, it will in exactly 1 minute. BUT, it should always connect like the other machines do. It never drops and has full signal.

Windows 8 runs well and does not report any errors and the Centrino 2230 was OEM for this machine is why I wanted to try replacing it with the exact same thing. That is about the only thing left to try. I removed it and re-seated the connectors but that did not help.

I will call the router folks and see if they can give me a clue about the AES-TKIP to make sure I am not there.

I have the 15.6 driver in there and it does not make any difference from the factory installed driver.. I let the Intel program control the wi-fi and now switched back to Windows and that didn't make any difference either.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I contacted the Linksys router tech and she said that I have WPA2-AES+TKIS in the router. I explained that I was trying to get rid of the WPA2 AES-TKIS and just use WPA2-AES like my machine is set for and this is the response :

"Actually, the router's WPA2 security is set to TKIP/AES by default. It can't be changed on the router, Sir."

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

It seems to be that response is probably correct as I was not able to find any reference of TKIP or AES in the Linksys E1200 user guide. It appears to be the router does not offer such setting in order to select the specific encryption protocol like other previous Linksys routers offered.

Therefore, it is also possible the computer is taking longer to complete the handshake with the router as it needs to decide whether to use TKIP or AES. One way to figure this out is if you have the chance to test with the connection as opened or unsecured.

I hope this suggestion helps.

0 Kudos
RKell3
New Contributor I

TKIP should be WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security(Personal

AES should be WPA-AES or business.

You can run http://dell.to/13Z2ZN9 Network Interface and it will tell you, under cipher, TKIP or show up as CCMP

Rick

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Here is what it shows.....thanks.

There is 1 interface on the system:

Name : xxxxxxxxxxxx

Description : Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230

GUID : xxxxxxxxxxxx

Physical address : xxxxxxxxxxxx

State : connected

SSID : xxxxxxxxxxxx

BSSID :c0:c1:c0:ec:47:eb

Network type : Infrastructure

Radio type : 802.11n

Authentication : WPA2-Personal

Cipher : CCMP

Connection mode : Auto Connect

Channel : 1

Receive rate (Mbps) : 144

Transmit rate (Mbps) : 144

Signal : 96%

Profile : xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hosted network status : Not available

0 Kudos
RKell3
New Contributor I

The WPA2-Personal is showing in cipher as AES, that's what the CCMP is.

Try WPA-Personal and it should turn back to TKIP but the recieve and transmit rate will drop to 54Mbps)

Try these tweaks....

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Go to the power options, and changed the Wireless Adapter Setting, from Maximum Power Setting to Maximum Performance.

I have heard to try...(but I cannot confirm this)

Disable Bluetooth on the Centrino 2230 and also set Bluetooth(R) AMP: Disabled.

Rick

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I had everything to maximum power already so I just went and disabled blue tooth.

Strange that with the older Netgear I had the same thing happen with WPA-2 but WEP connected every time as long as I set it to "up to 150mbs" It wouldn't connect every time with WEP set "up to 54 mbs"

I'll see how this goes for a while then try WPA.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It connected 8 times in a row since I disabled blue tooth but I need to watch it for a while. Some days are better than others. I have no clue as to why. This has been a good day so far, it only screwed up a couple of times.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well blue tooth didn't solve it. Worth a try tho. Darn.

0 Kudos
RKell3
New Contributor I

Joe,

Another thing I heard was to

start, control panel, network and sharing center, click on your connection properties.

Uncheck the TCP/IPv6 box and see what happens.

Rick

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I went to WPA TKIS and it really slowed it down but connected ok. I want to make it work with WPA2 so I am back to that and unchecked the box you suggested.

We know it works with WEP and it will probably work ok with no security as well that Joe wants me to try and I will get to that.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RKell3
New Contributor I

Joe,

That should give Joe_Intel somewhere to have the technicians look to correct this issue.

Rick

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It is interesting to me that's fer sure. I love the notebook and it is incredibly fast with the 3740 i7 and 840 Pro SSD. I cannot hardly believe that it only takes a few minutes to do a virus scan. My other machine with the 2630 i7 and 520 Intel SSD is pretty quick as well.

I will report back after I run it for a while with the iPv6 unchecked.

It just does not like the WPA2. Oh well, that's the way it goes, first your money and then your clothes !

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I didn't have to wait long for it to screw up on a start up so I went back and checked the iPv6 box again.

I will go no security for a while as per Intel Joe's suggestion and am wondering if there is a way to turn the signal down on the E1200 before I do...I need to look and see.

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Well it must be getting tired of me messing with it.....it screwed up on start up with WPA and also with no security so I am back to WPA2-Personal and will just deal with it. Maybe we'll come up with something eventually.

I appreciate the concern you guys showed me.

Thanks !

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I made a mistake. The old Netgear would attach with WPA2-Personal set to "up to 150 mbs" and I am back to that even though it is slower than the E1200. 25mbs vs 30mbs on the downloads.

So I will run the old Netgear to verify I was not imagining things.

If it connects every time like it used to on that setting then I guess it would be fair to say this machine doesn't like the E1200n with any encryption.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Joe, I am not sure if you disabled or changed the security in the router and in the wireless profile as well.

PudgyOne, thank you for posting those good suggestions.

I just wanted to clarify some points:

• Both WPA and WPA2 can use TKIP or AES.

• Based on the fact presented above we also have to consider the possibility that the command may be displaying the authentication and encryption used at the time when is entered in CMD and not what the router is set to; because the router seems to be using TKIP+AES, therefore it could be either one. What I am trying to say is that it may display TKIP or (AES) CCMP after reconnecting again.

• I have seen some scenarios where disabling IPv6 improves the connection. Mostly when using older (IPv6 incompatible) routers or firmware, a valid suggestion still.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Joe I disabled it in the E1200 plus set it to WPA Personal and adjusted the profile accordingly in the laptop and it screwed up about 1 out of 3 or 4 times so I gave up on it and am back to the old Netgear at the moment with WPA2. So far seems ok.

I can try it again with the e1200. I had to adjust the profile in the laptop to match or it wouldn't have connected at all.

Thanks guys

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Joe my wireless properties in the laptop always show AES for the encryption type when the security type is set to WPA2-Personal. Not sure if that is written in stone or not.

I apologize for my lack of knowledge with wireless but I am learning....the hard way LOL

Thanks

0 Kudos