I own the following computer:

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3

CPU: Intel 3770K

CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO

GPU: Intel HD4000

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1x8GB CL9 @ 1600MHz

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB @ 7200RPM

PSU: Sirtec HPC400-G12S, 400W

The problem is that the last core (core # 4) of the CPU is 12-15 degrees (in idle phase) and 5-10 degrees (in full-load phase) hotter then the rest of the cores (1, 2 and 3).

I cleaned the processor's thermal paste and applied a new one. The problem is still there.

Is this issue covered by the warranty?

Thanks,

Bogdan.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RRamo7
New Contributor III

Hi Bogdan Matei,

Your processor has a TCase value of 67.4°C; anything from the Tcase and below will be the expected temperature of the processor in normal use, anything that doesn't stress out the processor (watching movies, burning CDs, browsing the internet, creating documents, etc.) When the processor is stressed out meaning that you are running heavy processor applications that take control of the CPU or uses it at 100% the temperature will go beyond the Tcase. It can perfectly reach 80 to 85 degrees and the processor will still be OK. The cooling fan is in charge to keep that temperature there.

If the processor temperature reaches 100 degrees or more it will send a signal to the motherboard to shut down to prevent mayor damages and most likely it will not be possible to turn the computer back in until it cools down.

The normal processor temperature will depend on the chassis type, the hardware involved and the location of the computer, and it usually is lower than the Tcase.

For troubleshooting purposes on the processor side what you can do is making sure you have the latest BIOS version of your motherboard in order to have the latest micro code available for the processor.

You can also run the Intel® Processor Identification Utility to see if the processor is being properly recognized by the system, please find this utility download here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=7838 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=7838

The other troubleshooting step you can do, is verifying the processor's functionality. The Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool will perform a stress test on the processor and will also monitor the temperatures. The Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool can be found at: http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031726.htm Processors — What is the Intel� Processor Diagnostic Tool?

Your processor specifications are located at: http://ark.intel.com/products/65719/Intel-Core-i7-3770-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz?q=3770 ARK | Intel&# 174; Core™ i7-3770 Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz)

If it is the case that any of the utilities fail or it is found that the processor is having an issue, feel free contacting the customer support center: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport?iid=subhdr%20help_feedback Contact Support

idata
Employee

Hey Ruben,

Thank you for your reply, but the answer is not the one i was looking for. I know the architecture of my system (that's why i bought the Z77 chipset + 3770K).

An i7 3770K has one of the cores hotter then the rest of the cores. But usually, this core is no.2 or no. 3 and not no. 4 as in my case.

Yeah, the temperatures are under Tj Max. Usually they are somewhere around 45 degrees in high load for cores 1-3 and 55-60 degrees for core 4. Is this normal? At this moment the temperatures are: 24 - 25 - 27 - 35 degrees. So there are 11 degrees between core no. 1 and core no. 4.

The BIOS (actually UEFI) is updated to the latest version, the cooling system is ok: 5 vents + 2 vents on the cpu cooler. The ambient temperature in the room is somewhere around 24 degrees. So this are proper conditions.

At this moment, the BIOS is reset to default. I also tried Windows 7 and Windows 8 and the "issue" persists.

Cheers,

Bogdan.

0 Kudos
RRamo7
New Contributor III

Hi Bogdan Matei,

That is totally normal, please bear in mind that not all the cores will have the same work load, and also is expected that some of the cores get hotter than the other ones.

As long as the "average" temperature is under Tj Max, the processor is running perfect.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

i`ve the same "problem". i5 3570k - Asrock Extreme4 - Zalman CNPS9900 MAX - 5x 120mm Casefans.

Idle: core # 3 40° and the other 25-26° (5% coreload could not be the reason of this temperature difference)

Stressed out: core # 3 49° and the other 37-38° (for example Prime95, Room temperature 14°)

I`ve renewed the thermal paste three times without any differences.

I bought this System to oc it in the next few years. But i think it is an problem cause later the hotter core will

limit it extremly. Its my fourth Core 2 Duo/Quad and i`ve never had more than 5° difference.

Sorry for my bad english.

Yours sincerely

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

i've tested it with the intel tool. It seems to be okay, but the temperature difference is the same at full load.

My question is if this temperature differences are normal (production tolerances) or is it a reason

for changing or testing this CPU by the dealer.

Yours sincerely

0 Kudos
RRamo7
New Contributor III

Hi,

The temperature you are talking about is totally expected, our Intel® processors have been tested up to 90-95 Celsius degrees without any problem.

0 Kudos