Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

integrated intel hd graphics 4000 not outputting digital audio via hdmi

idata
Employee

I am trying very desperately to get HD audio working from my laptop. Someone please help.

I have a laptop with an HDMI port that is connected to a hdmi switcher with digital audio out (http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Switcher-Toslink-Digital-Coaxial/dp/B003L14WB8/ref=pd_cp_e_1 Amazon.com: Monoprice 4X1 HDMI Switcher w/ Toslink & Digital Coaxial Port (Rev.2) w/ 3D support: Electronics). That hdmi switcher is connected to my TV via HDMI and is connected to my receiver (Harmon Kardon AVR 147) via optical. So, the setup is as follows:

Laptop --(HDMI)--> HDMI switcher --(HDMI)--> TV

--(Optical)--> Receiver

I'm pretty sure this is not a problem with the HDMI switcher because I also have my DVD player and DirecTV DVR connected to the HDMI switcher and both are working perfectly with HD video going to the TV and the HD audio going to the receiver.

In any case, once the HDMI cable is plugged into my laptop, there is a playback device called "Sharp HDMI" (since I have a Sharp Aquos TV connected at the other end of the HDMI Switcher). Under Supported Formats, I see:

Max Number of Channels: 8

HDCP: Supported

Bit Depths: 16-bit, 24-bit, 32-bit

Sample Rates: various from 32.0 kHz to 192.0 kHz

Encoded formats: DTS Audio, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital,

Under Advanced, I have the default format at 16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality) and both check boxes are checked for "Exclusive Mode".

When I try to configure the speakers for this device, it gives me the following options: Stereo, Quadrophonic, 3.1 Surround, 5.1 Surround, 5.1 Surround, and 7.1 Surround. I select one of the 5.1 Surround options and play the Test sounds. I hear audio in the front left and front right speakers only and nothing when the center channel, subwoofer, and both rear speaker test sounds play. An even more interesting fact is that when I try to "Test" the device from the Playback device list, I hear the same two speakers, but when the other speakers are supposed to be playing sounds, the audio level indicators actually jumps up but of course no sounds is being played.

I do hear audio when I try to play a digital audio source from my laptop (DVD or MKV file with DTS audio), but I know the audio coming out of the receiver is not true Dolby Digital or DTS since those lights do not show up on my receiver.

Can someone help me with this?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Fred_D_Intel
Employee

Hi sandeep7,

What is the operating system you have installed in the laptop?

may I have the model number of the laptop?

I would like to know if you have tested the laptop without the HDMI switcher or not.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have Windows 7 Home Premium.

Model # of laptop: Samsung NP500P4C-S01US

No I have not tested the laptop without the HDMI switcher because of 2 reasons:

1) If I connect my laptop to my receiver via HDMI, my receiver cannot extract the digital audio stream in the HDMI signal and just pass it through to the HDMI output which would go to my LCD TV.

2) As far as I know and confirmed with a Samsung customer service representative over chat, this laptop does not have any other way of outputting digital audio (coax or optical out)

It is the main reason I got the HDMI switcher that supports digital audio out because this switcher can extract the digital audio out of the input HDMI cable and output it via coax or optical to my receiver. I have tested the switcher with my DVD player and my DirectV box and it works perfectly with an HDMI input with the digital audio going to my reciever and the digital video going straight to my LCD TV.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

The same here with Acer i5 Laptop.

The intel video card is not able to render 7.1 via HDMI port and no way to force the Nvidia card.

I tried with DENON 4810 or directly to my OPO BDP105.

It works with Asus netbook ( but no HD video avalable ) or with my old laptop (core Duo ).

New model seems to introduce regression.

Hopeffully my dealer get back the Laptop and now I'm looking for a Laptop with Nvida Cardselctable.

Any Idea ?

Best regards\

Fabio

0 Kudos
Fred_D_Intel
Employee

Hi sandeep7 and Fabio,

HDMI can support 5.1+ audio configurations. What I can recommend is checking the configuration of the receiver/HDMI switcher in order to check if there is any other setting that needs to be configured.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

My problem has been solved since I changed for an Asus netbook with I7 proc and ability to des activate IBM video Card

So it tends to demonstrate that IBM video card is not able to output 7.1 surround via HDMI

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@Fred_Intel: I understand that HDMI can support 5.1 as is evidenced by both my DirecTV box as well as my DVD player connected to the same switch and ultimately the same receiver via HDMI cables and they are working flawlessly. As soon as I send the HDMI cable from the laptop to the switch, the receiver does not seem to be getting a 5.1 audio stream, but rather a stereo stream that I have to simulate surround sound. The configuration of the HDMI switch and reciever are exactly the same for the DirecTV and DVD player, so unfortunately, I don't believe that is the issue.

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
MMeye7
Beginner

Guys, I have the same problem: I have the NUC DC3217IYE.

I select one of the 5.1 Surround options and play the Test sounds. I hear audio in the front left and front right speakers only and nothing when the center channel, subwoofer, and both rear speaker test sounds play. An even more interesting fact is that when I try to "Test" the device from the Playback device list, I hear the same two speakers, but when the other speakers are supposed to be playing sounds, the audio level indicators actually jumps up but of course no sounds is being played.

I noticed the same behavior on my Laptop - also with Intel HD 4000 graphics - it seems a real driver error? I have the latest Inter driver bundle for NUC from November 2013 and all Windows 7 64 Bit Updates - no change. The problem exists always when you I try play sounds with 24Bit. With 16 Bit it works.

When will it be fixed?

0 Kudos