Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

How do increase my dedicated video ram?????? I want to play games but don't know if they will work as i have 0 dedicated video ram with an integrated graphics card

PTott
Beginner

please help!!!!!! How do increase my dedicated video ram?????? I want to play games but don't know if they will work as i have 0 dedicated video ram with an integrated graphics card

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

In most cases, the computer manufacturer has already configured the system to use the maximum amount of graphics memory that is possible for your particular computer model. Below is a URL that explains what is the maximum amount of graphics memory your graphics controller could use:

Graphics memory frequently asked questions

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-029090.htm Graphics Drivers — Graphics Memory FAQ for Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7*

Intel makes available generic versions of the Intel(R) graphics drivers. However, Intel always recommends that you check with your computer manufacturer and use the latest Intel graphics driver provided by your computer manufacturer. Your computer manufacturer may have altered the features, incorporated customization, or made other changes in the drivers they provide for your computer.

If you have already tried the latest driver from your computer manufacturer and would like to try instead the generic Intel(R) graphics driver, you may download the latest generic driver from the Intel Download Center:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Intel® Download Center

If during the installation of the Intel generic drivers you get this message: "driver not validated on this computer", go here for further instructions:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-022355.htm Graphics Drivers — Computer Manufacturer Graphics Driver Detected

Intel recommends checking with your computer manufacturer if there are any tips on increasing the amount of graphics memory for your specific computer model.

Allan.

JEFFREY_F_Intel
Employee

you don't need "Dedicated" memory for graphics and video applications to run; "Shared" graphics memory is available.

On integrated graphics, essentially all memory is allocated from the total pool of system memory for graphics use dynamically as it needs it. The driver can typically allocate up to ~1.7GB or so for graphics use.

The BIOS will pre-allocate a chunk of memory to store some key bookkeeping stuff for the driver (e.g. graphics page tables, region for context save/restore during power gating) - this really only needs to be about ~32MB. After the driver uses what it needs out of that pre-allocated chunk and reports anything left over was reported to the OS as "dedicated" memory. In the old days the BIOS used to steal 128MB or more and some BIOS versions offered options to pre-allocate more (256, 512). The downside of preallocating this memory is that the OS can't use it for any other purpose (Excel, Chrome...)

Instead, it is generally better for the driver to dynamically allocate the memory for frame buffers, video playback, plus all the vertex buffers, shaders, textures, etc in games. At Microsoft's request Intel has steadily been reducing how much is preallocated at boot. As of the most recent products this was dropped to 32MB and there really wasn't left over for OS use. As such, recent products will show "zero dedicated".

Nearly all apps will run just fine. Ignore the "min spec" on the application labels -those are there for discrete GPUs only where the "dedicated" memory is required for correct functionality and reasonable performance....

There are a few that don't are apps that incorrectly assume they need "dedicated" memory and query for that parameter. Intel is investigating a workarounds for these.