Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Can not update network driver

NHoll1
Beginner

I a laptop running Windows 7 SP1 64 bit. It is an HP Pavilion dm4. I have had it for a couple of years and I recently started getting blue screens whenever it goes into sleep mode. I uploaded the dump files to the Microsoft Support forum and everyone has indicated that these crashes are related to Netwsw00.sys Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Driver. They said the solution is to update the driver. In looking at Device Manager I see that the driver version I have for the Intel Centrino Wireless N 6150 is 15.1.0.18, which according to what I can find, is in fact the latest version Intel has available, despite being 3 years old?

When I run the Intel Driver Update Utility it only tells me I need to update the Chipset (from 9.2.0.11 to 10.0.24). However, after I download and finish the install it eventually says it has failed. I am unsure if the Chipset is related to the driver? I assume not.

At the end of the day, what I really need to know is how to remove the driver the is probably causing my computer to crash, and to properly update or reinstall a new one.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SharonT_t_Intel
Employee

Hi neil1076,

Thank you for your post. I will forward your inquiry to our wireless support group for them to further assist you.

rgds,

wb

jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello neil1076,

You can apply the following actions to do a clean install of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows 7* version 17.14.0. This release supports the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N + WiMAX 6150, and will install driver version 15.11.0.7 for this adapter.

1. Download https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24652 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows 7* version 17.14.0. Since you have Windows 7 64-bit, use Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software (includes Drivers) filename: Wireless_17.14.0_s64.exe; and save it to your computer.

2. Go to Control Panel- Programs and Features, and Uninstall the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software".

3. Then, in Control Panel - Device Manager, under Network Adapters, right click on the the N 6150 and Uninstall it, selecting the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

4. Proceed to Install the driver 17.14.0 that you downloaded before.

5. After the driver is installed, go to Device Manager and look for the N 6150 again, in the properties, go to the Power Management tab and make sure to put a mark in the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

Let us know if this helps with the BSOD's.

OLewi
Beginner

There you can find how to uninstall drivers and how to reinstall it. http://update-windows-drivers.blogspot.com/2015/03/3-ways-to-uninstall-windows-drivers.html 3 ways to remove unwanted drivers

0 Kudos