Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

AC-7265 Frequent disconnects/Painfully slow when connected

JLee154
Beginner

Hello all,

I've had my new laptop for about 2 months now, and there has been a wifi problem since day 1. My laptop is running Windows 8.1 with Intel DualBand Wireless AC7265.

Here are the list of problems that I've encountered.

1. I would have 5 bars showing on the taskbar, but the internet is painfully slow.
  2. It also just drops connection if I open 2 or more tabs with images in them, as if it can't take it and just decides to stop trying. None of my other computers, including a mid-2009 macbook pro, is having this kind of problem as they run completely fine, fast and reliable.

I don't have these problems at my apartment, with the following conditions:

1. The router is basically 15 feet away from the laptop with no walls between the laptop and the router.
  2. Comcast modem that doubles as a wireless router.

I have problems in my actual house, where:

1. The router is further away with walls between the laptop and the router. However, moving my laptop to 5 ft away from the router with no occlusion did not fix anything.
  2. Comcast modem that requires a separate wireless router (Belkin AC1200 Dual Band AC+).

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

18 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello JTLee9153,

If you bought this computer with the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 already installed in it, the first recommendation would be to check with the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) for the latest drivers and then test the connection. Once you have done that and you notice the issue persists, we recommend that you access this link that my help you as well to have this issue resolved.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034875.htm?wapkw=intel+7260+tp-link Intel® Wi-Fi Products — TechNote: Access Point Interoperability Issue with uAPSD

Regarding the frequent disconnection, this is what you do:

1 - turning off the power saving related functions can prevent unexpected disconnecting, sudden connections speed drops and the adapter working at its maximum performance. Go to control panel >>> Hardware and Sound >>> Power Options >>> Set the High Performance and apply the default settings. (Check the Change Plan Settings >>> Change Advanced Power Settings >>> Wireless Adapter >>> Power Saving Mode and make sure both On battery and Plugged in are set to Maximum performance).

2 - Set the advance settings of the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265:

- Right click on Windows Icon and choose Device manager >>> Network Adapters >>> Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 and right click and select Properties.

• Select Advanced page to set the value of u-SPDA support to disabled.
  • Check value of transmit power and make sure it is set to 5. Highest.

*Very Important: It's recommended to use 2.4HGz band for better penetration capabilities which improves the connection signal if there are walls or other solid objects blocking between the router and your laptop. Next, change the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 advanced settings in order to match the settings with the router.

• Set the Wireless Mode, example : 802.11 a/b/g/n according to the support mode of your router.

• Set the preferred band to Prefer 2.4GHz band (considering the obstacles such as walls... etc.)
  • Set the HT Mode for 802.11n compatibility. (VHT Mode is for 802.11ac compatibility).

• Set the 802.11n Channel Width for 2.4GHz to limited 20MHz. This one has smaller bandwidth than 40MHz, but it has better penetration capabilities which improves the connection signal.

Furthermore, if there no Bluetooth devices to be connected to your computer, turn it off because the wireless and Bluetooth* combo share the same wireless connection and antenna so turning off the Bluetooth can let the wireless connection has the entire usage of bandwidth and the antenna. Also, by turning off the Bluetooth*, it will help to decrease the signal interference since Bluetooth devices uses the same band.

Lastly, setup these two properties as shown below can improve the quality of the wireless connection.

• Set the value of Roaming Aggressiveness to Lowest.
  • Set the value of Ad Hoc QoS Mode to WMM disabled.

We do hope this helps you to resolve this issue.

idata
Employee

None of this works. I have all of this done with the newest 18.12.03 drivers dated 7/16/2015 and the performance is abysmal. I can be 5 feet from my Netgear Nighthawk AC router and only get 54mbps. Then I pull out my LG G3 phone basically anywhere in my house and I have 800+ mbps. This is honestly one of the most disappointing wireless cards I've ever had in my life. There are people in the intel forums saying intel should be sued.

It feels like everyone in the world except Intel is aware that this chipset either has subpar hardware or drivers.

0 Kudos
abhut2
Novice

OMG, ditto, none of all their advices work at all and i just got aorus laptop and that came with that driver and oh my god! the wifi only works when i am near the router but doesnt work in my room.... on other devices in other rooms i get 72 mbps and on this laptop i get 2-5 mbps but near the router it works perfectly. A brick wall or something really prevents it from getting the download speed even though the signal bars are full. I think the solution would be to get rid of this driver and get an older version because all my other devices much further away are working perfectly and are running older drivers like 6000 series and this is a pain.

Let me see if that solution i proposed works or not...

0 Kudos
DRyba
Beginner

I have another interesting issue - my AC7265 is connected with my router with 866Mbps while the maximum transmission speed with my NAS ~ 200mbps\

Strangely but Macbook Pro achieves 600Mbps

Does it mean Intel wireless is # or something is wrong with the config? Any advice?

0 Kudos
abhut2
Novice

Try and test your laptop with 7265 near the router and ser if it is getting full speed because i think the problem with it is that it has very weak signals so the download speed lessens with distancr so try and test with a very close range

0 Kudos
DRyba
Beginner

This was my initial test - but it doesn't help, signal is full bars

As mentioned, Macbook is connected to the same 5Ghz network with same Mbps speed and achieving 600Mbps transfer so definitely an issue with Intel...

0 Kudos
abhut2
Novice

i have changed 2 aorus laptops because of this internet issue and they say that there is no fault with the computer whatsoever but i said that i am getting crap internet on this and i am on my third laptop. I had to get powerline adapters because i think that the problem is with the adapter and when cabled it gives full speed so nothing wrong with the device or anything but this stupid 7265 driver sux and yeah it is an intel issue with this driver and many people have reported already which you can verify by surfing on other forums. try forgetting the internet and test again near the router but it will not achieve full speed llike i never get full speed unlike my 3 years old devices which work perfectly

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This thing is a piece of junk, my LG G3 gets a faster connection to the router and the antenna is probably 1/10th the size.

I have the newest newest driver and it is still stuck at 54mbps stated and probably 15mbps actual since i can't seem to download faster than 1.5MB/s

I really hope broadcom comes along with a NGFF card and eats intel's lunch.

0 Kudos
DRyba
Beginner

so is there any alternative to AC7265? anything?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It depends on which form factor you have. If you have the mpcie you can buy an Azurewave AW-CE123H, if you have the m.2 ngff card there is no real alternative because there was only a limited run of broadcom cards and they're $160 on ebay if you can even find one.

0 Kudos
WBurn1
Novice

I am soon to be trying the following:

Killer Wireless AC 1535

8260NGW

Broadcom BCM94352Z

0 Kudos
AChai3
Beginner

Hi all, I tried setting the Wireless Mode to 802.11g and that solved my issue. It had issue with my TP-Link Archer D9 with 802.11a/b/g. Hope this help someone. Using Acer Travelmate P645.

WBurn1
Novice

Update:

Killer Wireless AC 1535 - Awesome adapter, works very well with strong throughput at range and no dropouts. (does not support channel 12,13)

8260NGW - Have not tried yet.

Broadcom BCM94352Z - Tried, not that impressed, worked ok, did not drop out, better impressed by the Killer 1535. (Did not support channel 12, 13)

0 Kudos
DWalk5
Beginner

If you're using a bluetooth device, I think it's the fact that the adapter is trying to handle both bluetooth and the wifi connection - and as far as I can tell, it can't.

I tested my download speed using my bluetooth mouse and it was 4.85mbps download, and 1.54mbps upload.

Then I turned off the bluetooth mouse and plugged in a wired mouse and it went to 20.83mbps download, and 2.63mbps upload.

After switching to the wired mouse I first tried setting "Wireless Mode" to 802.11 g as suggested above. It topped out at around 15.5mbps download speed.

Then I switched "Wireless Mode" back to 802.11 a/b/g and got the higher 20.83mbps speed.

This totally sucks because I bought an ASUS UX501 laptop in late January 2016 partially because I could conserve my USB connections by using a bluetooth mouse. Obviously this wifi adapter is not currently capable of handling both wifi and bluetooth in my computer. I'll keep checking for future firmware updates and hope they solve the problem.

It is nice, however, to suddenly have my internet speed back.

DChes1
Beginner

iquest wrote:

If you're using a bluetooth device, I think it's the fact that the adapter is trying to handle both bluetooth and the wifi connection - and as far as I can tell, it can't.

That's the conclusion that I came to as well. Fortunately, it appears to be an issue with the older firmware (which usually can be changed easily) as opposed to an issue with the hardware (which can't be changed easily). The latest firmware seems to fix the issue.

On my Toshiba Satellite S55t-C5325-4K, I could not get both Bluetooth and Wifi to work at the same time. With both turned on, neither seemed to work at all. With either Bluetooth or Wifi on by itself, it worked fine.

As suggested by the Intel representatives in this and other threads, I considered switching Wifi to 5 GHz. However, none of my networking hardware currently supports 5 GHz. Plus, 2.4 GHz supposedly has better penetration. I'm not going to buy all new networking hardware and switch my network to a frequency with lower penetration just to get this chip to work. So I threw that idea right out the window.

Next I looked at the installed drivers:

AC-7265 driver

2/22/2015

Intel Wireless Bluetooth driver

12/16/2015

The AC-7265 driver is about a year old now, good chance there's an update available. Let's check the Toshiba website: http://support.toshiba.com/support/driversResults?freeText=XF149016C http://support.toshiba.com/support/driversResults?freeText=XF149016C

Change the "freeText" value there to the serial number printed on the bottom of your laptop.

I wasn't sure which driver was for the AC-7265 so I installed the following:

Intel Bluetooth Filter Driver

2015-09-12

Intel Wireless LAN Driver

2015-12-22

18.20.0.9.0.t64_wCAT

Sure enough, that fixed it! I can now enable both Bluetooth and Wifi. Both seem to work without any issues. Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
MPast
Beginner

I have exactly the same problem on my brand new Asus UX303UB. The wireless adapter is an AC-7265. I tried to replace the driver with the latest one (from Intel download centre) and I tried to change the advanced settings following the instructions in the first page. Unfortunately my laptop hardly gets connected to my modem and to my powerline, and when it does, it is extremely slow.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Ferrarista,

Intel recommends that you contact your http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html computer manufacturer in order to get the latest drivers from them as our drivers found in our download center are generic. If after you trying the latest drivers from the OEM you notice that the issue still persists, as a second option you can you our most recently updated drivers: 18.33.0. Just make sure to install the version that goes with your OS architecture (32 or 64 Bit) Here lis the link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/83635/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-7265 Drivers & Software

0 Kudos
MPast
Beginner

Hello.

Thank you very much. I have already contacted the manufacturer of the laptop and I'm waiting for their answer. Anyway I've tried the latest version of the driver from your download center for my OS (Win 10 64 bit) but it's not improving. Unfortunately it seems that the problems arise only with my modem and my powerline, since it works great with other modems in other places.

0 Kudos