Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14509 Discussions

Determining 64 bit capability from processor ID?

idata
Employee

Hi,

I am trying to figure out whether a Xeon processor is 64 bit capable. I have used the dmidecode software to get the processor ID and other info as below. I don't see "64" appearing anywhere, so I assume it is 32 bit only? Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks very much in advance.

Processor Information

Socket Designation: Microprocessor

Type: Central Processor

Family: Xeon

Manufacturer: Intel

ID: 0A 0F 00 00 FF FB EB 3F

Signature: Type 0, Family 15, Model 0, Stepping 10

Flags:

FPU (Floating-point unit on-chip)

VME (Virtual mode extension)

DE (Debugging extension)

PSE (Page size extension)

TSC (Time stamp counter)

MSR (Model specific registers)

PAE (Physical address extension)

MCE (Machine check exception)

CX8 (CMPXCHG8 instruction supported)

APIC (On-chip APIC hardware supported)

SEP (Fast system call)

MTRR (Memory type range registers)

PGE (Page global enable)

MCA (Machine check architecture)

CMOV (Conditional move instruction supported)

PAT (Page attribute table)

PSE-36 (36-bit page size extension)

CLFSH (CLFLUSH instruction supported)

DS (Debug store)

ACPI (ACPI supported)

MMX (MMX technology supported)

FXSR (Fast floating-point save and restore)

SSE (Streaming SIMD extensions)

SSE2 (Streaming SIMD extensions 2)

SS (Self-snoop)

HTT (Hyper-threading technology)

TM (Thermal monitor supported)

Version: Not Specified

Voltage: 1.7 V

External Clock: 100 MHz

Max Speed: 2000 MHz

Current Speed: 1700 MHz

Upgrade: ZIF Socket

L1 Cache Handle: 0x0700

L2 Cache Handle: 0x0701

L3 Cache Handle: Not Provided

Also, if this is helpful, it is running linux, and cat /proc/cpuinfo gives (for one processor):

processor : 1

vendor_id : GenuineIntel

cpu family : 15

model : 0

model name : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 1700MHz

stepping : 10

cpu MHz : 1695.423

cache size : 256 KB

fdiv_bug : no

hlt_bug : no

f00f_bug : no

coma_bug : no

fpu : yes

fpu_exception : yes

cpuid level : 2

wp : yes

flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm

bogomips : 3389.28
0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Most ofthe xeons are 64bit so the chances are it is, what is the model of the CPU?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I actually have not been able to figure out the processor model. All the tools I have seen to do that seem to only run on Windows, and this is a Linux box (and I know nothing at all about Windows myself and haven't got a copy anyway). All I know is that the case says Dell Precision 530 on it and it is has dual Xeons of some kind. I think it is from 2003. Not later than early 2004.

Anybody know how to look up the model from the info I do have, or else how to get more info without running Windows?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I was wandering the same thing about this exact same pc. I havn't purchaced it and wanted to know if I could put a 64bit OS on it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I tried a chat session with an Intel support person, and the answer I got was that the only way to tell (without running a Windows utility which I cannot do) was to remove the heat sink and look for an "SL code" printed on the proc itself. I haven't done this because I don't have any thermal compound or the experience to be sure I won't kill it in the process. But, I have since talked with the person who bought the machine originally and she recalls it as being 32-bit only. I imagine she is correct. I read someplace that a FSB speed as low as that of this system indicates that it wouldn't be 64-bit capable. Not sure whether that is reliable, but it corroborates what the purchaser told me.

I think I will not proceed with this, but for those who wish to:

If you want to look up an SL code, go to http://ark.intel.com

If you can run Windows, you can use the Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility to directly answer this question.

If you do happen to lookup the proc with this ID number, kindly post your results here since it sounds like others may be interested. Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

There is a program "Intel Processor ID utility" which should be able to tell you if your processor is 64 bit or 32 bit. Xeon Processors are supported.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Go to http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-015477.htm http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-015477.htm and see which version of the bootable utility you should use.

See if that will tell you any additional information.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Looking at the Spec's it looks like an original Netbust Xeon, these didn't support 64bit.

The socket 603 that you have isn't upgradable to any CPU that has x64 support, plus you need the optional risers to support the max of 4GB.

0 Kudos