Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Rapid Storage 9.5.0.1037, DG33TL, and WD 1TB GP RAID-1 issue

idata
Employee

Hello all,

I've been running my DG33TL (latest BIOS, 572 I believe) with a 640GB WD OS drive and 2x 1TB WD GP Green drives in a RAID-1 for Data. The OS is Win7 Pro x64 RTM. I'd been using v8.9.0.1023 since I installed the system last September, and on Vista Ult. x64 SP2 before that. No issues at all the with the drives.

Since I upgraded to Rapid Storage 9.5.0.1037 (actually, within 30 minutes after installing), it keeps complaining that one, the other, or both of my 1TB GP drives are in danger of data loss, and when I reboot the machine, the RAID BIOS shows S.M.A.R.T. Status(0) on whatever drive(s) are coming up in Rapid Storage as having a problem. I took each drive aside and tested using WDs latest drive diagnostic utility and they each come up as not having any issues (including S.M.A.R.T.). I am sure that the drives aren't really bad, and I can't believe that if they were, they'd BOTH turn up bad within half an hour of installing 9.5.0.1037.

Smells like a software bug to me. Anyone having the same issue or know of a fix/workaround?

I'm worried about rolling this out on our new company images (I work for an OEM) given what's happened to my system.

Thanks,

-S

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Go to the following URL http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1285254 http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1285254 and read about Time Limited Error Recovery then download WDTLER. You will need to create a DOC bootable CD or USB drive to run this utility. You may need to switch you SATA drives to IDE in the BIOS to run this against your RAID Drives, then reboot, set your drives back to RAID in the BIOS and finish booting to Windows. Cured my issues on two of my systems where I am running WD Black Drives.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the link and info, but the symptoms are not the same (my drive is not dropping out of the array...I'm just getting warned that data loss can occur). I tried the TLER utility, no dice; got another warning about 30 minutes after enabling it on the RAID drives.

-S

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I just found and installed Rapid Storage version 9.5.6.1001. We'll see what happens...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Similar issue..My hardware is a seagate drive , sme software version (9.5.0.1037)....running on a discontinued supportted board DGWH965..Will try the new version (Not listed on my boards site, but supported by my boards chipset) and hope that it works

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have been running 9.5.6.1001 since my last post. It has definitely lessened the issue; instead of having one, the other, or both drives claim that they are possibly failing every hour/2 hours, now it is only occuring once every 2 days or so. Also, I noticed there is a little less stuttering when watching HDTV via MCE (the RAID-1 is the recording drive). Still not perfect though, but definitely an improvement.

-S

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I downgraded to 8.8.0.1009 and the drive hasnt dropped once....this was happening even on the new versoin

0 Kudos