Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

core i3 540 embedded

idata
Employee

Only difference other than clock speed between the 530 snd 540 is that the 540 is embedded. May be a silly question but what is embedded?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Looking through the product breif for i3 540, I'd say the embedded difference is that there is extended life cycle support, i.e. you'll be able to buy them for longer which would be important to someone building system with CPU in.

The other thing thry tout is ECC memory when combined with 3450 chipset.

The technical spec's for the CPU seem to link to the same document, so I'd say the processor isn't physically different, just how it's supported.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

It is already integrated in teh system, like an atom i suppose, you know the little falls boards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for your reply Cpt.

Yet both can be pruchased as stand alone units. My feeling is that it must have something to do with the chip itself. Anyone else?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Looking through the product breif for i3 540, I'd say the embedded difference is that there is extended life cycle support, i.e. you'll be able to buy them for longer which would be important to someone building system with CPU in.

The other thing thry tout is ECC memory when combined with 3450 chipset.

The technical spec's for the CPU seem to link to the same document, so I'd say the processor isn't physically different, just how it's supported.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

My conclusion as well. Thanks for your help, appreciated.

0 Kudos