Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14512 Discussions

Cleaning processors with paint thinner, mistake?

MHima1
New Contributor I

Couple weeks ago I cleaned my xeon E5540's pins(underside) by rubbing it with a damped(paint thinner) cloth because the thermal grease dirtied it up a bit

until now, I havent tried it up yet because the motherboard still being repaired. The result is some of the pins color seem different than the rest, Have I done a mistake?

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Paint thinner is a mineral cleaner. thus, it probably discolored/corroded/coated the pins. as for damage to the cpu, you'll have to plug it back into the socket to find out for sure. I would guess it should be ok. but I couldn't tell you for sure. though it will likely have a reduced connection to the mobo if it does work.

the best thing to use to clean a cpu aside from a thermal compound removing chemical such as 'Arctic Silver CPU cleaner', is a 99% alcohol solution, which you can typically get at a pharmacy on request. for your future cleaning needs

0 Kudos
MHima1
New Contributor I

In case the paint thinner coated the pins, Am I better off cleaning it back with 99% alcohol or letting it be?

Is there still chance the processor will still work 100%? :S

Thanks for responding, Gbu

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

there is no 100% definitive way to know if your cpu works. I would put it back into the socket and see if it will boot. if you attempt to clean the cpu you can damage the pins, rendering it utterly useless. and soaking in in alcohol isn't wise. CPUs are very fragile and very sensitive to ESD static. handling them as little as possible is the best policy.

0 Kudos
MHima1
New Contributor I

I was cleaning it close to an energy saving light bulb, was it a mistake?

In case the processor faulty works unnoticed, is there a chance it will damage the motherboard? :S

thanks a lot, your answers mean a lot to me

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Markus,

In general it is always recommended not to touch the cpu pins/contacts because of ESD. If something like thermal paste spread on the contacts then you may clean it very carefully with the material Rajiv stated. You should however be very careful while doing it.

If the cpu will still work, this I cannot guarantee. Only testing will prove it. But to my knowledge it should generally not be a big issue. Should work fine I assume, unless the thinner damaged the contacts from inside. The contacts changed colours because the thinner may have removed the protective layer from their surfaces, which then may have reduced the life span of the cpu.

Never use thinner to clean any electronic equipments.

Cheers

Rooven.

0 Kudos
MHima1
New Contributor I

If later it turns out the processor's still working but defected, will it negatively affect the motherboard?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

everyone's all telling you the same thing

as for negative impact on the motherboard, I doubt it. but I re-iterate that there's no definitive answer. I admit that i'm completely taken by surprise that you used paint thinner, which is a high grade mineral-based solvent, to clean something so fragile. As Rooven and I both stated, it probably just discolored the metal and/or removed the protective coating on the contacts for the CPU.

it basically comes doew to this my friend:

-nothing is guarenteed, the only way to know is to put it into the motherboard and run it to test it.

-cleaning the pins/pads is inadvisable, due to them being very fragile and sensitive, but if you must, u can rinse them VERY CAREFULLY with 99% isopropyl/ethyl alcohol, then let it dry for a long time to be sure it's completely aired out.

-i can't see negative impact to the system board as being a problem here; but once again, there's no way to know for sure.

0 Kudos
MHima1
New Contributor I

Thank God, The processor still working fine, thanks anyway guys =)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

I don't know anything about paint thinner.

However, i know that sometimes, if necessary, the gold pads can be wiped cleaned with a soft lint free cloth and isopropyl alcohol (IPA).

References website:

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-030850.htm

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/xeon5k/sb/CS-022302.htm

http://www.intel.com/design/intarch/manuals/316068.pdf

All the best,

Kind Regards,

Aryan.

0 Kudos