Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Why is Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 1030 Software/Driver so bloated

idata
Employee

Hi,

I recently purchased a new to me current day Dell 15R-5110 laptop which contains an Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 1030 Wifi/Bluetooth card.

As expected the laptop came with all the useles bloat of active services and software that I will never use.

So I Installed a fresh Win 7 x64 trim fit and lean with only what I use and need (making sure all is under my control).

PC boots in a flash and is quick and zippy to use.

I proceed in adding drivers for the devices.

All is good until I get to the software/driver (v 14.2.0.10) for this Wireless-N 1030 card.

I can't see any reason why a wifi/bluetooth network card should need to add so many new services and running processes to operate.

16 new processes running just by adding this bloatware driver and software.

I try to optimize the software and get it down to 8~9 new processes, but I still find this not acceptable.

Since I can just point widows at the actual driver without all the bloat and have 3 new processes running and my wifi working (just not at peak performance).

I don't care if I have 8GB of ram and 1TB of HD space, there is just no need to inflict an OS with this much bloat.

My be all and end all of computer use does not revolve my wireles network adaptor.

I feel that in the effort to give the user universal hardware that intel software has put together a package of bloat that really doean't feel streamlined at all.

I was under the impression software drivers should intergrate into the OS not overtake it.

0 Kudos
0 Replies