Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20625 Discussions

widescreen laptop - 'maintain aspect ratio' choice missing

idata
Employee

Hello all, I have a laptop here that I cant get to work how I'd like to. It is a Toshiba laptop with a native screen resolution of 1280x800 and Intel GMA 950 which is part of the Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset Family. While under any resolution, if I go to Control Panel > Intel GMA Driver > Display Settings, under 'Display Expansion' I only have 2 options, Full Screen (no boarder) and Center Desktop.

This is a problem for 800x600 resolution because I can only choose stretched or have a tiny box in the center of my widescreen with black bars on all sides. Is there a way I can enable the option 'Maintain Aspect Ratio'?

What I have tried: all different versions of Toshiba Drivers and latest Intel Generic Driver. Under all drivers maintain aspect ratio was missing.

Windows XP sp3 is my windows version.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

I have found a make shift solution for this problem. I used the free version of PowerStrip to create a custom resolution of 768x480 in order to display things in 640x480 in 4:3 ratio. I then use the full screen no border aspect ratio.

I am very confused on how I got PowerStrip to make that custom resolution, as I can not reproduce the method. Also in Display Devices tab for this custom resolution to appear I have to in 'Display Devices' select a 'Multiple Display' check the box 'Intel(r) Dual Display Clone' with the primary device being Notebook.

For PowerStrip when I first used it advanced timings was grey, then I somehow made it available and added the resolution. Then PowerStrip seemed to have stopped working and reinstalled it. After much tinkering did I find the above step to reveal the resolution I added.

So not sure how I did it but this will work for the time being and maybe someone else can figure out exactly whats going on here. Just know it is possible.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Added custom resolution.

0 Kudos
JTerr5
Novice

This is honestly the most annoying bug in the software. Any time you create a custom resolution at 4:3, you have NO OPTION to maintain aspect ratio. It's complete crap. The driver always decides to stretch full screen.

Please make this the # 1 thing to fix. Make it so we can MAINTAIN ASPECT RATIO for custom resolutions.

I'm purposely bumping all aspect ratio questions so you programmers know how serious of an issue this is.

Also fix the limited 60hz problem for monitors that can go to 120hz. That's another huge bug.

0 Kudos
Silvia_L_Intel1
Employee

I already replied to you at the following thread: /thread/46421 Asus Transformer Book T100TA: No option to maintain aspect ratio

0 Kudos