Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14503 Discussions

Lightly scratched i7 2600k and strange motherboard electrical noise

idata
Employee

Hi,

I've just got back my motherboard that has been tested by the authorized support center.

The problem is the following: after I've changed the mobo (it was a P67 with the bugged SATA) and I get a strange noise from the new one.

You can hear it well around the processor area and seems to derive from the capacitors. Hearing from my chair seems like a louder hdd noise. Getting closer seems like an electrical charge that makes a "fried" noise. Same noise as making the oil boiling while you're cooking something in it. The problem is that that sounds come and go and I can hear them through my guitar amp and PC speakers!! It clearly generates a bothering magnetic field and seems like an electric charghe..

I've a very very thin spot in the processor that has been scrached with an angle of the cpu cooler base. It's a tiny spot and it's not deep at all. Something like a little dot made with a thin sphere pen.

The processor works and I can use everything as I used it before in performances and temperature.

Since the support heavily tested the motherboard with no noises: is that little scratch the responsable? Have I reached something vital?

Or could it be, like support said, something case/alimentation/graphic card related?

Thanks in advance for help.

D.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Please bear in mind that the Intel® Processors don't have movable parts that may cause any noise. Personally I don't think that the little mark will cause this issue. This noise could be produced by the cooling fan. You can try uninstalling and reinstalling the fan. Also, check if any BIOS version needs to be updated and also test a different cooling fan on the system or this fan on a different system.

If the issue continues, do not hesitate to contact your local Support Center. Please find the contact information at following link.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contact/phone?wapkw=%28contact+phone%29 http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contact/phone?wapkw=(contact+phone)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I've sent the "problematic" motherboard to support.

They've run extensevely tests to stress it. No noise was noticed.

I feel clearly the noise comin' from the back of the motherboard next to the metallic part under the processor but it seems to come from the capacitors.

Can you explain me if the part of the processor that gets in contact with the cooler is just a cover of it contains something vital?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I've found out that this is a case problem!!!! Absurd!

With a standing case it makes noise, with the case put on a side the noise is almost gone. Testing the motherboard outside the case gives no noise...

I'm speechless...

0 Kudos