cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad NAND Flash chip on 80GB X25-M Gen2 SSD?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I recently purchased a 80GB X25-M Gen2 SSD, and so far I have only installed Windows 7 Pro and a few applications on it. I ran HDTune and Sisoft sandra, and I noticed that my drive performance is quite bad during the first "10 percent" of the disk.

Here is an image of the HDTune test:

Considering that there are 10 flash chips on the SSD, is it possible that one of the flash chips is defective? If this is the case, will intel replace my drive if there is a defective flash chip on it?

Also, how do I know that the OS has recognised my SSD as an SSD, and is using TRIM?

Thanks for your help.

4 REPLIES 4

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well, that's just what all Intel SSDs would be like after you installed an OS on it. You can have better test results if you don't use it as the system drive. It's certainly not quite a problem, and of course there is no bad flash chip.

Windows 7 will automatically recognize if you have an SSD by sending requiry about the speed of the drive. If receiving a return of 0, Windows knows this is one SSD drive and will make some changes in settings to optimize for this bad boy.

As to TRIM support, there it is in Windows 7 but will not function unless your SSD has a working firmware to cooperate with it. Intel hasn't released one yet, but rumor has it they will be there when Windows 7 is officially released to retail market. You will need to flash the drive with the new firmware to take advantage of TRIM once it's available.

In all, don't worry about anything, just enjoy it

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I can confirm that the test result looks absolut normal to me too.

With regards to the FW update, will I loose my data and config when I flash it? Although I doubt it I'm not 100% sure on this.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

No, you will not lose your data, just follow instructions for the update when released.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Cheers mate.