Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Intel HD 4600 drivers result in Black Screen and Freeze laptop.

AAwan
Beginner

Hi, I wanted to ask for help about the kind of black screen problem i am facing.

I was gaming while it all happened. I have laptop MSI GE70 2PE Apache pro. Now while i was play the game COH2 online multiplaye the screen suddenly froze and i had to restart the pc using power button. So then at Reboot the logo of MSI showed up but after that it showed black screen.

I start researching and did everything i could find on the internet. I Updated EC and BIOS. Reset and Refresh Windows. and everything i could find on the internet but nothing resolvee the problem.

Also after refresh i was also not able to reboot in safe mode to i couldnot enter safe mode becuase it said that " instalation could be completed in safe mode. So i had to install Windows from external DVD.

After that the computer ran but it only ran on Mobile Basic Display. Intel HD wasnt installed. But as soon as i install the driver of Intel HD 4600 the computer screen goes black and it freezes the laptop. Then i have to reboot the system then go to safe mode then disable intel HD4600 graophics so the screen can run again.

NOTE: As long as Intel HD is disabled the laptop runs but as soon as i turn on intel HD Graphics then everything goes black and Windows Freezes. I am also not able to use dedicated Graphics which is GTX860M as it is buffered through intel Graphics.

Can anyone here help me?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AAwan
Beginner

Plz help, any one from intel support....

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Since you had reinstalled the operating system, it seems to be a hardware problem because as soon as you enable Intel® HD Graphics the screen goes black.

Please let me know what graphics driver version are you trying to install on the computer?

Are you able to get into the BIOS after enabling Intel® HD Graphics?

Allan.

0 Kudos
AAwan
Beginner

Hi Allan, I am using the latest Drivers offered by Intel (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25425/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36- win64_153626.4294.exe) and the display works fine with out Intel HD 4600. I can get into BIOS after installing Intel Drivers and every thing works fine but thats without Intel Graphics but when i install the drivers and as soon as the drivers enable the card and the screen tries to convert to Intel HD display, it turns black and never comes back. When you usually install drivers this happens but it switches the display to Intel and screen comes back up.

If you think its hardware what should i do, I cant afford to send it to MSI or Intel as i purchased the laptop while i was on my tour to Malaysia and in my country there is no MSI or Intel Support center.

Can u kindly tell if its a hardware issue can it be fixed. Right now i am typing this message from my same laptop. Here is the image of the information. As u can see their is no other display except Mobile PC Display and the laptop works only on that. Some one told me the Nvidia Buffers through intel so it cant also be used.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

If this is a hardware issue, this could be the graphics portion of the processor or, an issue with the video ports on the computer. In order to fix it, you need to contact your computer manufacturer and get information about warranty options for your computer model at: http://www.msi.com/support http://www.msi.com/support

Allan.

0 Kudos
AAwan
Beginner

Actually i cant send it to the manufacturer as i bought the laptop from another country and MSI don't have support center in my country. So my options are finding a local service center that does laptop repairs. But before i jump to that conclusion i need to be sure.

Can you kindly share any image that shows these two parts on the laptop main board, could be any 4th gen laptop main board, just want to know for information purpose. I mean mark the portions on an image and share it so i can show it to the person i speak to.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

3liteGamer, actually, there is only one component hosting the graphics on the computer, this is the processor. The graphics controller is part of the processor. If you were to replace the onboard graphics, you will need to replace the processor.

Allan.

0 Kudos
AAwan
Beginner

Well then i think its not hardware issue then because laptop is running fine and no issues what so ever without the intel graphic drivers. If it were hardware then as the graphics are integrated with the processor then the laptop wouldnot even run, right?

0 Kudos
gbhj
New Contributor I

the best way to check if it is a hardware fault is to boot into safe mode and set the intel hd driver to windows basic driver

if the windows basic driver works out of safe mode then this is a driver fault

0 Kudos
AAwan
Beginner

As i already mentioned the display the display works at windows basic drivers, i have also attached an image in the above post no 3 showing its only working on Mobile basic display. So it might probably be drivers fault but idk. This is quite annoying as i have tried every thing on the internet and my problem is still not resolved. I hope something is done about it soon as i am really worried for my laptop as its is brand new almost.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Try uninstalling any Intel graphics driver and Nvidia driver, and download customized versions here: http://www.msi.com/support/nb/GE60-2PE-Apache-Pro.html# down-driver http://www.msi.com/support/nb/GE60-2PE-Apache-Pro.html# down-driver

Make sure you download Intel VGA and Nvidia VGA drivers.

Allan.

0 Kudos
AAwan
Beginner

installing Customized drivers also didnt help. I was thinking of installing windows 10 and then check it or i might downgrade to windows 7. But at the moment i dont know who to upgrade to windows 10 or downgrade so i am researching the topic. As its has OEM windows installed.

One more question i would like to ask, has there by any chance reported hardware issue u know of related to black screen and the display worked on basic but not on chipset. Kindly tell me if their is any so i can go ahead and think about hardware check up.

Also can u tell what is the fix if its a hardware issue, i mean what should be done just so i know and the hardware guy doesnot mess things up with my laptop.

0 Kudos
gbhj
New Contributor I

there have being lots of other users report this error

in the registry there is a setting "DisplayOptimizations" that may be set to 0x1d setting it to 0x0 may help other settings to check are "NoFastLinkTrainingForeDP"

if that does not help using chrome remote desktop software to check what resolution the Intel driver is trying to make the display use

0 Kudos