Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Disconnects/Driver Missing

DM8
Beginner

My Specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU @ 3.70GHz

RAM: 8.0 GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz

System Type: Windows 10 64-bit Operating System

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

I have a Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I adapter based on the Intel Wireless AC 7260 chipset that has been installed in my desktop computer for nearly 18 months. The card has operated flawlessly during that time using the Windows 10 standard driver for 7260-based cards.

Over the course of the last month, I've experienced repeated wireless disconnects. These disconnects have demonstrated particularly odd behavior. The wireless icon in the system tray indicates that the connection is still valid, but I'm unable to visit any websites. All requests timeout. When I click on the wireless icon, the only network that remains visible is the network which I am connected to (all other networks, of which there are typically 4-5, are not visible). Attempts to disable/enable the device via the device manager results in a frozen device manager interface. Additionally, if I view the device status, the following message appears "No drivers are installed for this device".

I've attempted the following troubleshooting steps without success:

1. Uninstalled/reinstalled Windows 10 driver.

2. Uninstalled Windows 10 driver; installed latest Intel 7260 driver.

3. Uninstalled Windows 10 driver; installed latest Gigabyte driver.

The only corrective action that solves the issue is restarting the computer.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello abracadabra1,

We understand that you're having connectivity issues with your http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GC-WB867D-I-rev-42# ov Gigabyte* GC-WB867D-I wireless adapter for desktop computers.

Based on the description of your issue, it's possible that your wireless card or it's PCIe adapter may have started to fail for some reason. If this is the case, please keep in mind that your warranty will come from Gigabyte*.

The first troubleshooting step to take here will be to physically unplug your wireless adapter and perform a visual inspection. Make sure all plugs are clean and no parts seem to be damaged. After this, reinstall your adapter making sure all connections are seated properly.

Second, we can perform a clean installation of your drivers:

1. Download the latest drivers and save them to a known location:

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26653/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 Version: 19.50.1

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26667/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-Software-for-Windows-10 Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® Software for Windows® 10 Version: 19.50.1

2. Uninstall your current Intel® PROSet Wireless Software from Programs and Features in the Control Panel. Remove all available versions for wireless and Bluetooth*. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings."

3. Remove your Wireless and Bluetooth* drivers from the Device Manager:

- Control Panel > Device Manager > Network Adapters > Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 > Right click > Uninstall > "Delete the driver software for this device."

- Control Panel > Device Manager > Bluetooth* > Bluetooth* Device > Right click > Uninstall > "Delete the driver software for this device."

4. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK > Check "Temporary Files" and uncheck all else. Press OK.

5. Reboot your computer.

6. Install the Wireless and Bluetooth* drivers you downloaded back in step 1.

7. Apply our http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005544.html recommended wireless connectivity settings. Additionally, if you regularly use Bluetooth*, you may enable Bluetooth AMP* while applying this settings. Otherwise we can recommend disabling your Bluetooth adapter.

Please let us know if this improves or resolves your issue.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
DM8
Beginner

I physically removed the card, inspected it, and then reinstalled in a different PCI-e slot on the motherboard and rebooted the computer. The same behavior noted in the OP was noted in the new slot.

Are there any issues with the 7260 Wifi Driver and the Windows 10 VPN TAP driver? I'm generally connected to a VPN using OpenVPN and TAP Driver 9.21.2.

I'll try connecting to WiFi without the VPN to see if the same behavior is demonstrated.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

abracadabra1,

It's always important to make sure that your VPN software is up to date. We can also test to see if the same issue occurs with your VPN disabled in order to discard it as the culprit.

Another thing we could try is a driver only installation. For this you will need to remove your PROSet software from Programs and Features, and your driver from Device Manager (you can follow the same process as before). The difference comes when installing your driver.

For this process we will need to download and extract the IT Admin version of the Intel® PROSet Software: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26657/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Admins Wireless_19.50.1_Driver64_Win10.zip

Instead of running the installer, you will need to go to Device Manager > Network Adapters > Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 > Right click > Update Driver Software > Browse my computer for driver software, and select the folder where you extracted the IT Admin package.

If neither this, not having your VPN software updated or disabled helps, then it's possible that you may be experiencing a hardware issue. If this is the case your adapter may need to be replaced.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
DM8
Beginner

Carlos,

I'll give the VPN disabled option a shot. I do have the most current version for OpenVPN, but it may be part of the problem.

I am currently using a driver-only installation since that proved stable for nearly 18 months. Intel Driver Version 18.30.0.9

I attempted using the newest drivers, but it had no impact, so I've reverted to the last known good configuration.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

abracadabra1,

Great. Feel free to share your results with us.

Another way to test if this is a hardware or software issue would be to perform a system restore back to a date when your adapter was working well:

- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options Recovery options in Windows® 10

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
DM8
Beginner

Limited success with all VPN drivers uninstalled.

It seemed as though it may have fixed the issue (~1-2 days without disconnects), but two disconnects occurred today, each demonstrating the behavior described in the OP. Next steps that I'll try are (1) using updated Intel WiFi driver and (2) Reverting to Microsoft Restore point.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

abracadabra1,

We look forward to learning your results.

You may also want to engage Gigabyte*, as in this case they will be your main source of warranty and support.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

0 Kudos
DM8
Beginner

Carlos,

I purchased a new card (Asus PCE-56) and the issue has not reoccurred.

Thanks for the help attempting to resolve this issue.

This can be closed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello abracadabra1,

We can't fix everything, but we sure can try. I did unfortunately suspect this to be a hardware issue from the beginning.

We would be happier if you remained with Intel® Wireless products, but we are aware that there aren't many desktop adapters in our lineup. Hopefully your replacement leads a long and trouble-free life.

If there's anything else we may help you with in the future, don't hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos