Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14526 Discussions

Help with i7-7700k

WDomi
Beginner

Hi there.

My old Gigabye X58A-UD5 motherboard recently died so I bought a new motherboard GA-Z270-UD5, new RAM G.Skill 2x8 DDR4, and a new processor, the i7-7700k. Thus far everything seems to be working fine aside from one thing. Whenever I play Overwatch my CPU's usage hovers at about 70%-90% even if I'm just in practice range. Prior to my upgrade I could run the game on low settings at 144 FPS consistently. This was with 6 GB Triple Channel RAM and an earlier generation i7 2.8 Ghz Quad core processor. I never checked my CPU usage back then but regardless it could run the game at 144 FPS where now I can barely get 40 FPS in a game. CAM by NZXT software is telling me that my RAM is at about 25% usage, my GPU is at about 30%, but my processor again is at about 70%-90% while playing. To me this seems strange I would be surprised by 50% but 70% and up makes me feel like something is wrong. Is there some sort of driver or other software I'm missing? Does anyone know what I have done wrong?

I'm going to cook dinner so I'll be away from my computer for a couple hours. I would appreciate any suggestions and will answer all questions I can when I return. Thanks. <3

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WDomi
Beginner

Overclocking my RAM to 3200 seems to have helped things quite a bit.

0 Kudos
WDomi
Beginner

Ok I was a bit hasty the RAM upgrade helped but did not fix the problem. When I try to install the Intel Graphics Driver for Windows it keeps telling me that "my system does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software." Which I do not understand at all. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4-50-GHz- Downloads for Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.50 GHz) Clearly this is the right download for my i7-7700k and my motherboard is a z270 chipset motherboard so what "requirements" am I not meeting exactly? Is there another way to install this and would installing it even help anything in the first place? I mean is that driver only used for using integrated graphics or what? Currently on 50 FPS in game so I'm on the right track I just feel like I'm flying blind here just trying everything I can. Would really appreciate some input from someone who knows better than I.

0 Kudos
WDomi
Beginner

Also my Intel Driver Update Utility keeps telling me that "no drivers were detected for your product" which I just don't know if I believe.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Bumbler,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

Can you please provide the following information to better assist you?

Operating system installed:

Motherboard's BIOS revision:

In addition, the max supported RAM speed for the https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor is DDR4 @2400 MHz.

Altering clock frequency or voltage may damage or reduce the useful life of the processor and other system components, and may reduce system stability and performance. Product warranties may not apply if the processor is operated beyond its specifications.

Regarding the Intel® Driver Update Utility issues, this may be because you have an OEM motherboard and the tool works better on Intel® Boards and Kits.

For more information, you can check the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/iduu-faqs.html Intel® Driver Update Utility FAQs.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

JC
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Bumbler,

I was reviewing this thread and I wanted to know if you need further assistance?

If so, please provide the information requested in the previous post.

Regards,

JC

0 Kudos
JButl6
Beginner

Hi JC

Would the OEM motherboad reason explain why I can't install the drivers for the HD 630 graphics (I7 7700K) on a Dell Precision 3620 workstation. (Trying Windows server 2012 r2, but performance seems iffy, disks use to be 150mb/s on old Dell XPs 8100 from 2010. But having problems with these new workstations, bit of a pain all this; so much so I wish I'd gone for the i7 6700!)

What can I do to install the drivers? All of the methods give the "system does not meet minimum requirements" garbage message.

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Butler9xx,

The Intel® HD Graphics 630 are only compatible with Windows® 10, so this could be the issue as you are running Windows Server 2012 R2.

I would recommend contacting Dell for compatibility information between the system and the OS you are running.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos