Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Connectivity issues with SR300

MHein7
Beginner

Hello community,

Since some month I'm working with the RealSense SR300 for a project with unity.

A few days ago, I bought a new laptop and now I'm facing the same problems as you can see in the video from ipas ( ) and as mentioned in this thread

Everytime I connect the camera to the PC and start the cameraExplorer app from the realSense SDK I get the message "ERROR - Device failed due to malfunctioning".

Installed are the SR300 Depth Camera Manager 3.3.27.5718 and the RealSense SDK 10.0.26.0396

I tried out all the steps recommended in this post

Nothing really helped, except the powered USB-Hub. When the camera is connect via a powered USB-Hub the cameraExplorer can start most of the time (sometimes it still gives me the error message right at the start).

But if it starts the streams, it only works between 1-5 minutes and looses the connection after that time period.

I would be really glad if it is somehow possible to get the SR300 constantly working on my system, in the best case without the need of a powered USB-Hub.

That you in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LBill
New Contributor I

Make sure you are using a powered USB 3.0 hub.

Moreover, I found industrial USB 3.0 hubs work the best with these realsense cameras, specially on Linux where the librealsense and drivers are not as robust when data errors happen compared to windows drivers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I wonder if your new laptop is using the Creators Update version of Windows 10, which has been causing problems recently with the SR300 camera, in particular its depth component.

Intel support staff member Jesus G posted the following message:

"On May 16, 2017, a new driver for the SR300 camera was automatically installed on systems with Windows* 10 Creator. This driver installation caused the SR300 camera to stop working. Intel worked with Microsoft to identify an issue which caused the unexpected behavior in the way the camera driver installed, which led to a corrupted driver. Intel is testing a fixed installation package and will be releasing a production version between June 12 - June 30, 2017.

User Slothameedees wrote this excellent workaround":

0 Kudos
MHein7
Beginner

Hey Marty,

thanks for your help. I already applied the workaround from Slothameedees some days ago, also on other pc, where the camera wasn't detected after the update.

But this workaround only helped in the way, that the camera explorer was at least able to detect the camera. Before it wasn't even detected.

Sadly it doesn't help with my actual problem.

0 Kudos
LBill
New Contributor I

Make sure you are using a powered USB 3.0 hub.

Moreover, I found industrial USB 3.0 hubs work the best with these realsense cameras, specially on Linux where the librealsense and drivers are not as robust when data errors happen compared to windows drivers.

0 Kudos
MHein7
Beginner

Hey Pototo,

thanks for your advice. Do you have a good recommendation for a USB-Hub, because with the one that I use, the camera stops working after a few minutes. Of course it would be great if there is a solution without a power USB-Hub ;-)

0 Kudos
LBill
New Contributor I

I recently bought this industrial USB 3.0 hub, and it seems to be working great:

https://www.baslerweb.com/en/products/vision-components/additional-accessories/usb-3-0-hub-4-ports-side-by-side/ USB 3.0 Hub, 4 Ports side by side - Cards, Hubs, Switches

I am now able to run multiple SR300 at the same time for at least 15 hours continuously. I connect no more than 2 SR300 per hub, though, since I might run out of bandwidth on a single USB hub.

0 Kudos
MHein7
Beginner

Hey Guys,

got my camera working. I'm right now using this USB-Hub https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00ZQFYWJY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3VIZVBY06QYHB&psc=1 https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00ZQFYWJY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3VIZVBY06QYHB&psc=1

What I realised so far is that I needed a USB Hub with 12V and 5A. I also tried out one with only 3A and that one did work sometimes but the camera stopped working after some minutes.

With the linked USB Hub I'm now able to run the camera over a long period without any errors.

This is not the way I wanted it to be, as you would consider a camera to work without additional hardware (YermiA_Intel Do you now if Intel is going to find a solution for this kind of problem) as long as you meet all the minimum requirements, but at least it is working now and I can continue with my work.

But to all of you: Thank you very much for all the help, ideas and advices you provided to me. I really appreciate how much the community here is helping each other.

Kind Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Michael,

Great to know you have been able to get it working. I know that facing this kind of issues can be frustrating and we would like to use it without additional hardware, however, these power delivery problems are difficult to determine because there are a lot of variables that affect it such as the motherboard, components, drivers, among others. Nevertheless, we'll share this with the development team.

Regards,

-Yermi A.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Michael,

Thanks for reaching out.

In this case, I'd recommend you to use a powered USB hub as Pototo suggested, since you have already tried the other possible workarounds stated in these articles: /community/tech/realsense/blog/2017/02/13/troubleshooting-connectivity-issues-with-intel-realsense-cameras Troubleshooting Connectivity or Power Issues with Intel® RealSense™ Cameras and /thread/113973 How to get SR300 working on Windows 10 Build 1703 - Including SDK Apps such as Segmentation (Updated 5/17/2017). The reason I suggest it is because some computer ports do not give enough power to the camera and a powered hub is needed for that purpose.

Regards,

-Yermi A.

0 Kudos
MHein7
Beginner

Hey Yermi,

thanks for that advice, but also with a powered USB-Hub it is not working constantly over a longer time period.

I've seen in other threads that the users posted some log files. So I attached an export log from my msinfo32 and also the log files from the sdk_info.exe coming with the RealSense SDK 2016 R2.

It would be great if someone could have a look at it with maybe some more helpful advices resulting from those log files.

Thank you very much for your help.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Your system information indicates that your PC has a 7th generation Kaby Lake processor (the official minimum for the SR300 is a 6th generation Skylake processor), and you meet the other conditions of compatibility with the SR300 camera. If you also cannot get stable performance with a powered USB hub, your PC hardware is likely not the cause of the camera problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Michel,

Yes, according to your system info your laptop meets the system requirements for the RealSense SR300 camera. I'll take a closer look at the RealSense logs and in case I find something useful I'll let you know. Additionally, I would like to know if you have tested that SR300 camera on another system, just to confirm if it works properly.

Regards,

-Yermi A.

0 Kudos
MHein7
Beginner

Hi YermiA_Intel,

thanks for your reply. I'm looking forward if you can find any additional information about the problem. And yes, I have tested the camera on other systems (Laptops and Desktop-PC) and it work quite good.

MartyG

Thank you for your information.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Michael,

I apologize for the delay in my response. We have checked the logs and it shows that the camera gets disconnected from the system as you have mentioned. This issue could be caused by power delivery problems, but we cannot be sure. In this case I'd recommend to follow Pototo's suggestion since it may help you.

Another possible source of error is the fact that your system is running Windows Creators Build 15063, which is currently causing problems with the SR300 camera.

Regards,

-Yermi A.

0 Kudos