Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

Power supply fan noise

ALuca6
Beginner

Hello,

I have a P4000XXSFDR chassis with a S1200SPL motherboard. The server itself is fine, but I've noticed an issue where the redundant power supplies will sometimes spin their fans up to a very high RPM for no apparent reason and make lots of noise. Sometimes shutting the server down and powering it back up makes the behavior go away for a few weeks to a month, but it always reappears. Sometimes it's just for 5 seconds, sometimes it's half an hour. The SysInfo logs are attached. Can anyone shed some light on this? I know this behavior would be somewhat normal for a chassis fan if the ambient temp in the room rose, but it never gets higher than 45C and we've build other Intel Server systems with the same hardware and they do not exhibit this behavior. All firmware updates available have been applied.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Aaron,

In regards to your issue, have you tried swapping power supplies?

Also, using a tested or validated memory module makes the fan noise disappear, you can check https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/server-products/server-boards/000021781.html here for more additional information.

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Aaron,

We are following up your case and we would like to know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Sergio S.
0 Kudos
TSchn6
Beginner

Hi,

I encountered the same Problem this week, well it seems that the PSU has a problem with the BIOS settings in the fan control.

The Solution for my case was to set the PWM Offset to 8, now the system runs silent.

Regards,

Tino.

0 Kudos