Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Problems with dual band wireless ac 7260 on windows 8.1 pro custom build

XLi38
Beginner

I'm having some problems (see below) with the dual band wireless ac 7260 adaptor on windows 8.1 (driver version 17.16.0.4) pro custom build (see below) - any advice etc?

Problems:

- adaptor doesn't 'see' some routers (other adaptors on this and other computers do see the routers and connect to them fine, so I don't think its a problem with the router);

- wireless mode under advanced settings (intel proset wifi connection utility): no option to allow ac connection (6 mode options including 802.11 a/b/c);

- the router not 'seen' is ac, but other n adaptors connect to it fine.

The build:

CPUIntel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

MotherboardASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

MemoryG.Skill Ares Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage

System / boot: Samsung SM951 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Data: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Power SupplyEVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical DriveLG GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)

Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 7260 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Mini-PCI-Express Wi-Fi Adapter

Other comments:

- a PCIe power connector (molex cable) hasn't been installed, as thought not necessary for these two cards - correct? Worth a try?

- the build is new but everything else seems to be working fine (indeed much better than fine).

- a little concerned that this may be due to the Samsung SSDs taking up required PCIe 3.0 lanes - thoughts?

Thanks very much for any help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello SayWhat,

What brand are the other routers that don't show when you attempt to connect?

Are they in a private or public network?

Are you experiencing this issue in your home network as well?

XLi38
Beginner

Hi aleki_intel,

the other router is an asus RT-AC66U.

It's in a private network - my home environment.

Adaptors on my other home computers also show some of the neighbours routers (don't know the models, they're all private networks) the ac 7260 doesn't show most of these.

I perhaps should also have mentioned I'm using ASRock 97 Extreme6 Beta Bios 2.04.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello SayWhat,

Can you connect to your home network ?

Just to make sure we are on the same page here, your computer is a desktop, correct?

Are you able to connect in both bands 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz using this computer?

What is the driver version of your wireless card?

Change the HT mode to VHT

Please check the link below as it may help you as well: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-025393.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — What Are the Advanced Wi-Fi Adapter Settings?

0 Kudos
XLi38
Beginner

Hi aleki_intel,

Thanks again.

Yes, I can connect, and I think I now know what the problem is (more below).

Yes, the computer is a desktop.

Not sure if can connect in both bands - I'll try when I connect again (requires moving the desktop!).

Driver version: 16.5.3.6

Mode is VHT.

Thanks for the link.

I think the problem is: signal is too weak (maybe the sm951 is shielding the card and / or the card is not getting enough power).

I think this because: when I move the desktop right next to the router in question the adapter shows the signal (though only 4/5 bars at less than a meter).

Solution: I'm going to try a Mini PCI-E To PCI-E Wireless Adapter Card +/- some additional power from the PCIe power connector into the adapter card. (This is probably a good idea just to give the sm951 a little more room for heat - it seems to run fairly cool at the moment, but I gather it's not thermally throttled.)

What do you think?

Kind regards

0 Kudos