Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

intel centrini ultimate-n 6300 - is there any Intel software to turn the radio on and off?

gsax
Beginner

Trying to find out if there is any Intel PROset software that can turn the radio on and off rather than using the hardware switch?

thanks,

g

0 Kudos
5 Replies
gsax
Beginner

I forgot to add this adapter is being used in an HP 8570w laptop using Windows 7 x64 Enterprise Edition.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Gsax, Intel® PROSet Wireless Connection Utility offers a WiFi switch on the left bottom corner of the main window and it can also be found by clicking the system tray icon on Windows* taskbar.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-025791.htm Intel� Wi-Fi Products; Switch the Wi-Fi radio on using Intel� PROSet/Wireless Software

0 Kudos
gsax
Beginner

Hi Jo_Intel,

Thank you. I have seen that but unless the hardware radio is enabled, the button you mention will not work. It states that the hardware radio switch needs to be used to turn the radio on. I was hoping that there was a way via software to turn that radio on... I ask because I generally use my laptop in a docking station and 2 displays, so the lap top is closed.

Thank you,

gsax

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

IMO, the hardware switch is the "master" switch that overrides any software switch, even BIOS Wi-Fi enable/disable. If the hardware switch is off, no Wi-Fi will be enabled even if the BIOS is configured to enable Wi-Fi use. The best software Wi-Fi switch that I could think of without installing 3rd party software is to use Windows Mobility Center. To invoke it, press the Windows Button and X at the same time while in desktop mode. You should see something like this:

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

It is necessary to enable the hardware switch for wireless to work; otherwise no software switch will be capable of enabling it.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-020275.htm Intel� Wi-Fi Products; Wireless radio cannot be enabled from software

0 Kudos